Radiator leak at trans line | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator leak at trans line

texyank

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
My radiator is leaking slightly at the upper transmission line. The radiator is completely full and the temp gauge stays where it always has. The coolant in the recovery tank is lighter in color than that in the radiator. The line to the recovery tank is open. I replaced the radiator cap thinking that maybe it wasn't opening and allowing coolant to flow to the recovery tank. I haven't driven it to check that out yet. Is there an o-ring or gasket where the trans line goes into the plastic tank? What else should I consider if the cap doesn't make a difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, here we are 6 months later and the changes are minimal. The recovery tank is now empty and the coolant level in the radiator is about an inch down from the bottom of the filler neck. There is a white scaly residue around the leaking fitting and areas where the coolant has dripped. The same residue appears in the recovery tank. There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. I've put about 5k miles on it since March. The coolant is still the transparent green color that it should be. I'm considering using stop leak at this point rather than replacing the radiator. I'm not fond of these products, but this seems like a case where it may be the best choice.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Have you considered just ignoring it unless/until it gets worse. Dumping in a little more coolant every 2-3 months is not a terrible problem to have.

"Have you considered just ignoring it unless/until it gets worse."

Yes, actually I have. I'm just waiting for that day when it decides to blow.

Couple more thoughts, FWIW:
1) If the leak is in the fitting itself, you could try just tightening it up. Downside, of course, is that it could just shear off and then you have to replace stuff.
2) If the leak is in the radiator or the line, you could try surface patching with something like JB Weld. Unlikely to make it worse.
3) I have had a bad experience with stop leak, so I never touch the stuff! It might cure the leak, but unfortunately it can also stop up places you don't want stopped up.

No stop leak. If that is the only problem with your Ex, get it fixed so you don't run low on coolant and risk losing the motor. Stop leak is not a repair, it's a mistake.

Back