Transmission Wouldn't Engage, Heavy Acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Wouldn't Engage, Heavy Acceleration

GoonDawg

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Aerostar 3.0L Ext
The vehicle is a 1990 Aerostar 3.0L Automatic. After overnight parking is when the problem occurs, shifts just fine in reverse and to take off when backing up, but once it runs for a good minute if there's a hill with a stop sign at the end of it, it either has heavy acceleration from the take off after the hill or won't move whatsoever and rolls backwards. Today I had to shut it off and shift it back into drive just to get it to engage. Checked the fluid and it was slightly above the first hole in the dipstick. Wondering if it's just not warm enough and the viscosity of the oil is the issue or if there's bigger problems on the horizon. It's at 166,000 miles and I've added a little transmission fluid at a time day by day just so I don't have to siphon it from the dipstick hole and be on the safe side.

Didn't shift it at all at the stop sign only when it started rolling backwards, wasn't a steep hill so it came out of gear and just rev'd slightly when I tried shifting it back into drive from neutral. Turned it off and back on and rev'd it in park and put it into drive and it went into gear just fine. No gears would engage before I turned it off. Wouldn't engage in reverse, 1st/2nd, overdrive or drive just rev'd ever so slightly when you tried.

Back