Treadwright Muds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwright Muds

Well its getting to be that time again, I need a set of new tires, but im a broke college student so how do i solve this problem? Ive found that the best way to satisfy my crave for offroad styling and performance with retread tires from the renown "Treadwright." here is the link to the tires that i will be purchasing...

http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/4/sename/30950r15-mud.aspx

And my initial question has to be... Has anyone ever purchased these tires before? If so, how many miles did you get out of them? Are they reliable?

Many people have been telling me how bad retreads are, and how dangerous they can be. However I'm willing to risk a blow out on campus at a whopping 15 mph. Occasionally I'll go offroad with my buddys and fraternity brothers, but nothing extreme by any means.

Besides, at $70 each, who doesn't want mud tires?

I'll be ordering them in about a week and a half. (Pay Day) and when they do get here, I'll take pics and let everybody know how they do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search would get you some results but here is the thread thats going on about them
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230908

I ran the guard dongs on my old Explorer and there were awesome in the mud and rocks just seemed to have a fairly soft compound so they tend to chunk out a little bit. Mine had 15000 miles on them when I sold that Explorer and still had a ton of tred left, just balance them with bb's it will make you much happier.
There's pictures of what they looked like mounted on mine in this thread.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272022

I was going online to order them, and they only have two left. So i was looking at the 235's and they are only .3 inches smaller than the 30s. And about $10 cheaper each, with a little more aggressive tread. I think Ill end up getting these instead, but they are also on backorder so I'll call and make a special order for them.

These
http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/22/sename/23575r15-atg-c.aspx

or These
http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/8/sename/23575r15-crawler-mt-c.aspx

and also, they have a (C) and (P) after the title of the tire. What does that mean?

The "C" and "P" represent the load range of the tire. Typically, "P" is a passenger rated tire. Usually has a thinner sidewall to allow for a softer ride. The "C" rated tires are not always capable of more weight than the P rated tires, but they are rated at a higher air pressure. They usually have a thicker sidewall that is less likely to get punctured. Any load letter after "C" will be able to support a heavier load at a higher pressure. I've also found that passenger rated tires in the same size as a load rated tire have more tread depth, and a more squared shoulder to them, meaning they look more aggressive. You are fine with a passenger rated tire, but wouldn't go over a c rated tire. If you get the 235's you might have wished you had gone to the 30's or 31's.

Dan

I ordered them today and they should be shipped in about two weeks. I bought the mud terrains in the 235, with the P rating. I originally wanted the 31s but the stars didnt align quite right this time. I need a wheel bearing and all 4 shocks. Btw Im looking at Gabriel Pro Guards. Are they any good or should I just be cheap and get the guardians?

I ordered them today and they should be shipped in about two weeks. I bought the mud terrains in the 235, with the P rating. I originally wanted the 31s but the stars didnt align quite right this time. I need a wheel bearing and all 4 shocks. Btw Im looking at Gabriel Pro Guards. Are they any good or should I just be cheap and get the guardians?

Post pics when they are mounted!

I will for sure I was planning on getting the 31 inch Warden, but I didn't pass my inspection due to a bad wheel bearing and a bald tire, so I had to buy the tires because I need them in the next 60 days. I fixed the bearing today and I'll post pics of that job tomorrow.

Treadwright's are great. They are DOT approved (there will be a Treadwright DOT number molded into the new tread somewhere) and should last you about average for a MT. I have wheeled with Yellowford on numerous occasions while he had his X on their tires, and they worked great.

I'm excited about getting them, Ive had Goodyear Wrangler Radials for about 20,000 miles and they were pretty good in the rain, and ok offroad (they clogged with mud real easy) but I hope that these new tires are good if not great. I've heard nothing but exceptional reviews from Treadwright. But my buddies at UNCW say "yeah theyre synergistic but I'm going to be when they fly into pieces while I'm driving down the road. I'm not to worried about it.

Green Beast on the floor jack.

ExplorerJack.jpg

Why I'm getting new tires.

GoodyearWrangler.jpg

Caliper tied up out of the way.

RotorCaliper.jpg

Rotor with about 10,000 miles on it.

Rotor.jpg

The outer bearing, and other fun parts. And my friends hand.

BearingMisc.jpg

Put back together.

GoodyearWrangler3.jpg

Yep I have those Wrangler radials too. They suck on wet and dry pavement. I have slid them around corners and spun them out on regular pavement. Have yet to take them off the road much. The aggressive tread is probably what prevents it from being a decent road tire.

I mean, for a broke college kid, such as myself, they are pretty decent. Im on the beach more than anything, and they do quite well actually. They have just enough traction to not dig into the sand, they just pull along on the top. However, they are extremely soft so when I do occasionally go offroad, I'm more concerned with cutting a sidewall than I normally would be. But I'm looking forward to these new tires though. And with my paycheck, Im getting a 2" lift. Coil spacers in the front and AAL in the back and maybe shackles to even it out if she needs it.

Hey I'm a poor college kid too. I know what its like. What you want, you can't get and with what you need, you'll never have enough.

Wharton County Junior College. I start in the spring.

Its been a few weeks and now the wheel bearing is loose again. Its knocking around really bad. Could it be something other than the wheel bearing thats causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called Treadwright today to check on my order, and they haven't got any casings to make the tires, so the lady who answered my call, is checking on the shipment of casings theyre receiving today and finding out exactly when my tires will be made and shipped to me.

Back