Treadwright Muds | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwright Muds

Well its getting to be that time again, I need a set of new tires, but im a broke college student so how do i solve this problem? Ive found that the best way to satisfy my crave for offroad styling and performance with retread tires from the renown "Treadwright." here is the link to the tires that i will be purchasing...

http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/4/sename/30950r15-mud.aspx

And my initial question has to be... Has anyone ever purchased these tires before? If so, how many miles did you get out of them? Are they reliable?

Many people have been telling me how bad retreads are, and how dangerous they can be. However I'm willing to risk a blow out on campus at a whopping 15 mph. Occasionally I'll go offroad with my buddys and fraternity brothers, but nothing extreme by any means.

Besides, at $70 each, who doesn't want mud tires?

I'll be ordering them in about a week and a half. (Pay Day) and when they do get here, I'll take pics and let everybody know how they do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its been a few weeks and now the wheel bearing is loose again. Its knocking around really bad. Could it be something other than the wheel bearing thats causing this?

What did you torque the nut to? I would re torque it before you do any damage if it did come loose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They called me back today, and they are shipping them at the end of this week. Also I said that when I ordered them, the woman who helped said that they would arrive in less than three weeks, and so I asked if they could compensate. The guy on the phone said he would give me free shipping. So now instead of $350 its $250. :D

And I can't remember what the foot pounds were, but I did torque it down to spec I had found in another post, and then backed off one quarter turn, and then retorqued to some number of inch pounds. I can't remember for my life.

Good news!! My tires were finally shipped yesterday at about 1:30. They should be at my house on Friday which is good news because, I'm going home on Friday afternoon. The plan is to get with my buddy and mount my old tires on his ranger (I don't know why he wants them) and get my new tires mounted as well. I'll post pictures when they arrive and when they're mounted.

I finally made it home, and found my beloved tires sitting outside the garage today.

Tires.jpg

Another Shot...

Tires1.jpg

The tread itself

Tires2.jpg

After having driven about 30 miles total with them mounted, I have to say that they are way different from what I expected. They have a pretty noisy road hum, and at slow speedy you can feel the vibrations from the tread. Tomorrow I'm off to try out some cool stuff with them, and post better pictures for sure. However I am very happy with them. I would recommend them to anybody. They are much stronger than the Goodyears I had before. And were putting those old girls on my friends ranger with some jeep rims, so it'll look more like a 4x4 as opposed to a 4x2

I had them on my Rodeo, they are a great tread pattern, but you feel every lug hit the ground at slow speeds. Traction in the mud, dirt and snow is great though

Well the snow these last few weeks has been somewhat annoying. We had some yesterday that eventually just turned into ice. As I would come around a corner, the back end would slightly fishtail, but immediately the tires would get traction. These things rock. On the highway, the road hum seems to just blend in with the exhaust so its not a big deal. They ride very smoothly as well. Ill buy these tires again.

Back