Trick Flow Differential Cover Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trick Flow Differential Cover Install

cherrybomb

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 5.0L (R.I.P)
I finished installing the Trick Flow Differential Cover on my X. Also went with 75-140 Mobile 1 gear oil.

I only have one problem. The bolts which are supposed to go into the diff, and support the bearing caps appear to be too short! The instructions tell me to tighten them down to 10 ft/lbs of torque, then put the jam nuts on them. But there aren't any threads exposed to put the jam nuts on.

I put them in, and tightened them to 10 ft/lbs and left them there. There have been no leaks, and they don't appear to have backed out after some while now. Just not sure if I should be worried about this, and/or if Trick Flow makes longer ones?

5449010873_da2d6825ef_o.jpg

too_short by qwikrex, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, it's on my list of things to do. I'm actually thinking of a UPR rear cover (no sense advertising for Trick Flow, right) and they go on eBay for around $140.

Unless they changed the design, every one I have seen has jam nuts, mine do's

spindlecone said:
Unless they changed the design, every one I have seen has jam nuts, mine do's

Well, that's just it. Mine came with jam nuts, and the instructions include steps to install them, however there just aren't any threads left to put the jam nuts on.

I think I'll contact Trick Flow and see what they have to say.

Ck the instructions again, is the pre-load 10 FT/Lbs, or inch Lbs,I do not remember.

spindlecone said:
Ck the instructions again, is the pre-load 10 FT/Lbs, or inch Lbs,I do not remember.

Hmmn.. I'll check when I get home. Pretty sure it was ft/lbs though.

Even so, with them just tightened down to "finger tight" there aren't any threads left for the jam nuts. It really seems as though the bolts are too short, which is very odd. :(

Just an update.

I emailed Trick Flow support, and evidently I got the wrong studs. I haven't gotten confirmation that the Mustang diff is different than the X diff, but it must be, if there are different length studs.

They're sending me the new studs, and I'll post another picture when I get them installed.

I don't know why a Mustang would have different length studs unless the Explorer uses different size carrier bearings.

I never did get an answer from TrickFlow as to why the studs can be a different length, but they sent me a new pair, that were the correct length.

Here's a shot showing the difference.

5449010901_df686f236c_o.jpg

trickflowstuds by qwikrex, on Flickr

And here's what it looks like installed. I'm happy now. :D

5449010935_2254b18166_o.jpg

justRight by qwikrex, on Flickr

Back