• Register Today It's free!

Trouble removing the HU in an '02

Harb67

Reaction score
City, State
Stow, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, '02 2wd
Here's the story: I drive my dad's 2002 Explorer with the AM/FM/CD/Casette HU. I live and die by the casette player in this thing: it's his truck, and he wont let me get an aftermarket HU for it, so I use a cassette adapter to play my iPod in the car. Recently, the casette player decided to quit on me. I was putting the adapter in, and i dunno how it happened (maybe I pushed too hard or somthing stupid), but it wont take casettes anymore. The right side of the casette wont go down when you put a casette in, and you have to pull fairly hard (compared to one that works correctly) to get it out.

What I'm trying to do: I want to remove the HU and see if I can't fix the cassette player. I'm going insane listening to one cd instead of the 5500 songs on my iPod. I'm pretty good with electronics, so I'm not worried about working on the HU itself. However, I dont know how to get it out. I know I have to remove the big piece of trim, but thats where my trouble lies.

I read that it's best to pry it off with a butter knife or somthing. Is there any danger of breaking anything? And how well does it go back on? I want to do this without my dad knowing, and if he gets in the car to go to work and the trim is fubar, I'm dead :p I want to do this as cleanly as possible. Also, what are the best spots to start prying?

*disclaimer* I know this has been asked before: i did quite a bit of digging before finally deciding to post. I hate flooding boards with repeat posts, but I had to ask.

Special tool...

Do you see the 2 sets of holes on the sides of the radio? A special tool gets inserted in the 2 sides, and with slight pressure, the radio slides easily out without removing the entire dash. It's in every ford out there practically... Pretty smart, huh...

Any stereo shop SHOULD have a set of these. I, too, am looking for a set. I loaned mine out a while ago, and they disappeared.

Ford can do it, but it's probably $75 (like getting a remote programmed... haha screw that)

on 02-up, you must pry off the whole bezel around the radio and then take out the two bolts on the lower front of the radio to remove it. i guess you could use a butter knife. i recommend using a hook pick.

Back