• Register Today It's free!

troubleshooting

Ickey09

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
My 03 explorer threw a check engine light last night on the way home from work. On Monday it threw a ABS light on the way to work, but wasn't there when I went home. I went to autozone so they could tell me the codes. Codes are p0316,p0303.
They say causes are misfire on cylinder 3 .

Possible source of misfire is

Ignition system fault-spark plug, ignition wires, coil
Vacuum leak
Injector fault
High or low fuel pressure
Crank sensor defective
Check connector and wiring to sensor
Check trigger wheel for damage.

Now last summer I replaced plugs and wires, I just replaced thee coil today before work.
Problem is still there. I need help, this is my daily and can't a Ford it going down. Anybody that might have a idea please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check engine light flashing? Engine shaking? Dont know what motor you have but if it a 4.6 pull number 3 coil and check for water in the tube. Abs is probably a dirty wheel speed sensor since it went off. I dont think autozone can read abs codes.

It's a 4.0 service engine soon does flash every so often but stays on. Engine does run ough cause of the miss fire. I think it might be the crank sensor but not sure.

still looking for help on this guys... I have just replaced the crankshaft sensor. with no fix. So thats new crankshaft sensor, plug wires, plugs,and coil with no fix. WTF?!?!?! why am i getting a misfire on cylinder number 3?

switched out the spark plug in number 3. I fired up the truck and it smelled of gas. im thinking its the injector, what would you guys say?

how did your compression test turned out?

i id compresion. 150 . i took the intake off and started the spark plug with my fingures. i dont think it was all the way in. now its running better then ever.

Back