• Register Today It's free!

Tune up tips

ZBlackBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer/SHO
Ok, im sure this question has been asked many times, but i couldnt find anything define on the topic. As some of you know i have a 97 5.0 non p heads. I was just wondering on some tips on removing the plugs and fuel filter. Ill be tackling this on sunday and id like some tips and advice. Ive changed plugs on a SOHC before and it was pretty easy. But these exhaust manifolds are a ***** to work around.. Any help would be great. or even a sticky if you mods think the replys are good.!!
Thanks all
Clay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been a while since I changed my plugs, but I can't remember anything being difficult about it. It seemed like it was fairly easy actually. I accessed all of the plugs through the inner fenderwell above the tires. The rubber flaps tore when I was removing them, so I bought some new ones from the Ford stealership for about $16 each including new clips.

YUP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Take the tire off though. It's a breeze to change the plugs on it. The fuel filter...that's not so easy. Its easy enough to get to but you need a tool to remove the line from the filter and it's a ***** but read the threads on here about how to use it and be patient. You'll get it. ;)

Thank you guys!!

The fuel filter removal tool is vital, but costs only $3-4 .

Many people sea-foam prior to changing their plugs.

Yea, i seafoamed about a month or 2 ago and threw in a new PCV valve aswell Where can i get this tool?

O'reilly's has this for about 10 bux. this is the tool I use and it has worked fine
Be sure to get some Maf cleaner and some carb cleaner-

Obviously, you want to clean the Maf sensor well, also use carb cleaner for the egr valve. see if you can get it to free up a bit. A new air filter will help also.

Attachments

• fuel line disconnect tool.jpg
    fuel line disconnect tool.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 316

Where is the egr located on the non-p heads? Thanks for the pix john!

It's a p engine picture-but I think it is close enough-

the difference is the non p uses a mechanical sensor for egr "position"
monitoring the egr vacuum solenoid (or regulator) position. The pcm assumes if the linkage opens there is egr flow-and if it closes, so does the flow.
However, the actual EGR valve itself may be sticking and acting much slower than the linkage does, or, might actually be sticking opened or closed--

The p version uses a DPFE sensor which actually senses the egr gas pulses, through the external EGR tube.

How's that?

Attachments

• egr location on V8.jpg
    egr location on V8.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 333

Thats a great explanatio

Back