Completed Project - Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Hello everybody! It's time to start the SAS on my Explorer. It will be an awesome project and the first project of this type and size that I have ever undertaken. Up to this point the sliders where the hardest thing that I have made myself. I am open to any suggestions and or insights from anyone as the project gets underway. I have bought every last part for the build minus the hard brake lines (axles, and from master to the frame) and the flexible lines that go down to the axles. Those are all easy to make so I am not worried about it for now until I get the axles put together and can see what i want to do with those.

Now for a list of things I will be doing with the project:
1995 F-150 8.8 - I bought this used rear axle that I will strip, lock with a Detroit, convert to Explorer Disc brakes, and mount to the truck. Factory rear sway bar will be used. I will be doing a spring over conversion and will also be remaking the rear V8 anti axle wrap bars to help the leaf springs out with the leverage and TQ the V8 37's and 5.13's will put on them.
1976 F-150 HP Dana 44 - I bought this used axle and will be stripping it of the Ford factory wedges, trussing, and building custom glorified radius arms. Like DB_1 runs and like Rubicon Expresses makes. Front will also have a Detroit Truetrac LSD in it as well. This Dana 44 has 1/2" thick axle tubes.
Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs - I will be building shock hoops for these coil-overs, bracing them, and tying them together across the top of the engine with removable double lock tube clamps.
1995 F-150 Steering box - This will be mounted inside the frame rail and used with the factory PS pump and will build a custom steering link from the box to the column. I picked this 1 to keep it ALL Ford and 2 because they are fairly cheap and easy and can be tapped for hydro assist at some point if I want or need it. In order to fit this steering gear I also have to remote mount my oil filter so that it has room. I will be getting rid of the factory oil cooler and have a Trans Dapt remote filter relocation kit.

Project Parts Section:
-37X13.50 R17 Interco M-16's
-Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs with Eibach Springs.
-Detroit Locker for the 8.8
-Detroit Truetrac for the Dana 44
-Yukon 5.13 gears for both front and rear.
-Both axles will receive ALL new bearings races and seals u-joints etc.
-All wheel studs front and rear and spindle studs have been replaced for safety reasons. To cheap not to.
-Already had EBC brakes on it so those pads on rear will be reused and new EBC 7000 series pads for the front have been purchased.
-New front rotors wheel bearings and new Spicer ball joints, going to reuse the warn locking hubs as they work great and are in good order and easily changed later if i wanted.
-1978 Ford T-Bird calipers have been bought in place of the factory F-150 ones. They are 17% bigger in piston size so will give me a little more brake up front to help stop those 37's.
-Trans Dapt Oil filter relocation Kit and addition mount to hook to the block at a 90*.
-Currie Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Clevite bushings for the all the link ends.
-GM 1 ton tre's for the steering with a high angle tre at the pitman arm.
-Front axle truss. (wasn't impressed with it at all so will be making some changes)
-Extending current Expedition rear drive shaft and will have a custom double cardon one made for the front.
-Metal used: 2"X.250 wall DOM for lower links, 1 1/2"X.250 wall DOM used for upper links, 1 1/2"X.375 wall DOM used for trac bar, and ALL tabs and brackets will be made out of 1/4" Flat plate by me.
-Double lock tube clamps for the shock hoop cross brace that uses 2 3/8" bolts on each. These are so It can be removed.
-All Grade 8 hardware will be used.
-All flexible brake lines will be braided stainless steel Teflon lined hoses.

I like to follow others projects and often find myself wanting more pictures so bare with me there will be A LOT of pictures of the build. I hope you enjoy lots of pictures as much as I do.

First some pictures of what the truck was! Then onto some parts pictures. Build will start shortly.
1998 XLT Explorer. 5.0L with the 4R70W trans. I have the 4406 T-Case. 3.73 gears with rear LSD. Goodyear 31's. Rock sliders and front skid plate. Links to those builds are in my signature.

P1020388.JPG

P1020410.JPG

P1020476.JPG

P1020488.JPG

And here is some video links! :) There are a few videos of me wheeling in CO with nssj2!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the climbs on Cliff Hanger. Fairly close to the start of the trail. I have video of this climb. Was awesome in the truck, and the truck did great. For anyone that has wheeled hard you know how much more vertical you feel in the truck than it looks in pictures or videos.

DSC01400.JPG

DSC01401.JPG

DSC01402.JPG

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Scoping out the last obstacle on the trail. This one was fun, the wife however didn't like it one bit. There is a 4' ish drop off right there and when there is that cliff on the side it makes it a bit more intimidating. But the truck did great with no pucker factor.
DSC01421.JPG

Now on these pictures look far to the left and you can see the truck coming down off that ledge. Was great and i have GoPro video on the side of the truck of it going up and down this ledge.
DSC01422.JPG

DSC01423.JPG

DSC01424.JPG

Great pictures but the forum limits me to 800 width so they are small but still look good none the less.

Another pic of after the truck just came off that ledge.
DSC01425.JPG

And then the group picture. There was me and a RAZR-S and then everyone else mountain biked the trail.
DSC01430.JPG

You Sir need to update your signature!! I believe the SAS swap is done!

Very Very cool, awesome pics too!!!

Link that Facebook group. It would be sweet to get a utah group going.

Alright I didn't have much time but I put the quick videos we made on Poison Spider together and put it on youtube. I really really liked this trial its one I will do many many times in the future. Anyways I didn't have the GoPro on it so all these are fairly low quality, (not near as bad as a lot I have seen on here) But they still look good none the less. Click on it to go to the 720P video. But really its only from my camera so it does okay. Enjoy and post up if you have any thoughts on it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd2yzYlyFLw

So I have had a small oozy coolant leak from between the timing cover and the block for a few years. Never fixed it because you need to pull the oil pan to do it right. The factory IFS crossmember is in the way. So now that its not there I decided, heck ill do it now. So it all went well and much easier with it taller, I can sit under the truck and work on it now! :)

Anyways got it all apart and the chain is a hair loose. Not bad or like its going to slip a tooth or anything but just 112k loose. So I wasn't concerned about it before thought hey of it needs one I would just run to ford real quick. But as luck would have it they don't stock a timing chain for a 5.0L. What the crap. O well it's on order and will be here on Thursday so ill get it back together this coming Saturday. But really happy oil pan chain sprockets crank rods bottoms of pistons etc all look fantastic. Very clean and smooth. No noticeable poor wear anywhere or anything. Looks great! So ill get the new chain and get it thrown back together and ready for the snow to fall! Can't wait!

Got the new timing chain on and it was really tight. Glad I decided to get a new OE chain for it while I was in there. I think the truck when at low revs does feel a bit more responsive, when you snap the throttle its very very quick to respond. :) Makes me very happy. I got the timing cover all cleaned a new front main seal in. Then instead of cleaning the water pump I just went to Napa and exchanged it for a new one :) Lifetime free replacement so yup I just went and got a shiny new one. So got the timing cover and water pump on all hoes connected then put the oil pan on and man that sucked bad. The gasket would be very very easy to install when the engine is out and the engine is upside down on a stand but trying to put it up with the oil pan proved to be difficult but I got her done. I also did a huge deep deep clean of the pan and the timing cover so all was perfect shiny new aluminum look! Well worth my time. So everything is back together and the truck is now back at home and I'm ready for the snow to fall!!!!!!! I Love Snow wheeling and can't wait to trudge through 3-4 feet of snow. You should see some awesome stuck pictures to come! :D

Here is a quick video from that Moab trip that we did awhile back. This is one of the climbs on cliffhanger. Completely optional and my buddy who is there almost monthly said he has seen several rigs roll here. In this video you can see the 12" ledge on the left. If the left front falls off it while under hard throttle it's a very easy spot to roll. Anyways here is the view from the right side of the X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESrJpmsAF7Y&feature=youtu.be

I was just Saving up money for this same concept, just happend to come cross this thread. might be borrowing some ideas but i have couple changes hear and there i have to make since im in Florida and we dont have rocks to climb we have swamps, beaches, and BackWoods

I have a Question turboexplorer Why did you go with a Single Piston Caliper vs a Twin Piston Caliper?
Wont the Twin piston caliper have a wider range on the pad to stop more efficiently with more stopping power...plus with the twin piston caliper the diameter of the Rotor is not limited to the diameter of the piston like on the single piston.

As far as I know there is no twin piston caliper for a 70's F-150 axle. Plus the bigger diameter piston off the T-Bird does fantastic. With the big twin diaphragm brake booster on the 5.0L the truck can stop much better than it ever could stock. Believe it or not the truck is even a little bit better to drive in rush hour. Stops great and with you being able to see so much farther you can see whats coming. I have absolutely no problems with braking and wouldn't change anything. My wife drives it more than I do with our daughter and she feels very comfortable driving the truck in traffic, on the freeway, parking etc. For off the shelf calipers its perfect. And that's with running 37's to.

oh yeah duhhh, idk what i was thinking dual pistons werent til late 80s but yeah Awesome built i wish i could just have you do all the work for me but i know its gnna be just me and couple buds. this week im hitting up a few junkyards to find me some good axles to tear up.... wish me luck. i need to just hit the lottery so i can afford all the parts i need, this is gnna take me awhile...

Back