turning over, not starting? plus a ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turning over, not starting? plus a ?

vdavis25

Reaction score
City, State
Standford, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
Yesterday, my car was running fine. We went to the store, were in there about an hour I guess, and when we got back out, it turned over fine, but wouldnt start. Any ideas? It hasnt done it since. I think we tried starting it for a good 10 mins before it finally did.

I checked the fuel reset button. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes. My hubby checked all the fuses. We werent really sure WHAT to do or look for. Then, it just started. Was really strange.

Any ideas?

And! What plugs do you guys use? I called ford, because the CEL is still on, unless I clear it, then it may go a few days before coming back on. Its running a LOT better, I really think its a/was clogged injector. Ive put a few bottles of cleaner through it, and its much much better. Ford told me, injectors rarely clog or go out, and to change my wires and plugs. And that, my problem is probably because I have autolite plugs, instead of motorcraft :rolleyes: And, now my hubby is working, so we are going to just change the wires, just in case. What ones do you recommend? Oh and we took autolite plugs OUT of it, when we swapped the plugs a few months ago.

Any how! Any help on the non starting issue would be great. In case it happens again.

That's tough to diagnose over the net, but your plugs and wires would have to be HORRIBLE to cause a no start. Brand of plug would have nothing to do with it.

If it does it again, I would listen for the fuel pump to make sure it's coming on. Try listening for it now, while the truck is running ok. Just turn your key to "run" without going all the way forward to "start". If you leave you drivers door open when you do this, you should be able to hear a humm/whine which stops after just a second or so.

When you're Explorer doesn't start, if you don't hear the fuel pump, it's either going out, or the relay for it is intermittent and going bad.

Back