• Register Today It's free!

Turns over but wont start.

widowmaker00

Reaction score
City, State
Gastonia NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt V8
I have a 96 explorer xlt V8, the car was running fine and the I parked it, came out a few hours later and it wouldn't start, but it turns over just fine. I splashed some gas into the throttle body and it ran for a few seconds and cut off, so its getting spark. I checked that fuel pump inertia switch and it was good, replaced the fuel pump relay and checked all the fuses, and still no start. I cant hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key, but I never could before either. I tried disconnecting the battery and connecting it back up, but that didnt do anything. I can hear the fuel pump relay click when the key is turned, it has power. Not sure where to go next except change the fuel pump. Any suggestions? I am new to these forums.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can't hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to ON, then obviously its the fuel pump related.. Since you already replaced the fuel pump relay and checked the inertia switch, I'd say you covered other causes.

check for voltage at the fuel pump pigtail with key on, if you have voltage and the fuel pump doesnt run you have faulty fuel pump

Be aware that at key start the pump is only on for 2-3 seconds before the engine starts. A good place to check the voltage is to stick a paper clip jumper in the connector for the inertia switch and measure there. If you have +12 for 2-3 seconds, then the problem is the pump or the wiring between the switch and the pump.

If no voltage, then the problem is under the hood - bad fuel pump relay; bad computer relay; bad wiring; something more insidious.

Good luck and respond if more questions.

he needs to check the fuel pressure first, if he has power and the pump is bad it won't tell him anything

thanks guys, fuel pump is definately not clicking on, put my ear to the tank when someone was turning the key and nothing. will check fuel pressure and voltage in the morning, thanks for all the help.

he needs to check the fuel pressure first, if he has power and the pump is bad it won't tell him anything

If his pump isn't working, he won't have any fuel pressure.

Back