Tyres | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyres

Ian5700

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Colway AT 265*75*R16 tyres for the explorer. I assume these will fit it as Howard runs on this size, as they are bigger than standard 255*70*R16 tyres?

Has anyway ever used Colway tires? They are retreads. http://www.c-tyres.co.uk/ctraxat.htm. They are quite resonable at 45.65 a tyre.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a set of Colway AT 265*75*R16 tyres for the explorer. I assume these will fit it as Howard runs on this size, as they are bigger than standard 255*70*R16 tyres?

I run that tire size as well, you will probably have to do the tt and shackle 2" lift to fit them. I did that and they fit fine with some minor trimming to the inner part of the bumper.

What PSI do people with the 265/75 R16 run them at, i have been running the Goodyear Wranglers 255/70 R16 at what the book says 31 PSI. What is the best PSI for the larger tire (the same 31?), mine are an AT if that makes any difference.

If anybody wishes to know how to stop any rubbing that exists with the 265's this picture will show you what plastic to cut.

http://www.explorerforum.com/data/3107/1097000621-02.jpg

Does everybody rotate at 3,000 or 5,000, 10,000, etc. or just leave untill replace front ones than rear.

as far as tire pressure goes, it is different for different types of tires. The correct way to figure out what pressure to run is to mark a chalk line across the tire tread, and drive straight forward. If the pressure is correct the chalk line will be evenly worn. If the pressure is to high, the center of the tire will be more "worn" then the outer, and the opposite for if it is underinflated. I would reccomend starting with what the max inflation the sidewall of the tire says and go from there.

As far as rotating goes, it's kind of up to you. Usually more agressive tires need to be rotated sooner (5k) than less agressive tires. I think you should be fine with 10k for an AT, but it is kind of a preferance thing.

I have been playing with tire pressures with the chalk test. The tyres do not seem to list a maximum tyre pressure, or not at least that i can find (retreads) (50/50 ATs). The garage that fitted them put 39 in them all round, so i did the chalk test and chalk was left on the shoulders a far way in.

I have reduced it some and then some more, to 35, 33, 31, 30 PSI. At all these pressures the chalk is slowly increasing disappearing. I am now down to just chalk left on the shoulder facing away from the car, exactly the same amount on the front and rear with 30 PSI. What pressure do other people run in 265/75 R16 tyres? I want the best life tread wear out of the tyres, i am not too bothered about petrol mileage or ride handling (as long as it doesn't but more strane on things like ball joints with too low pressure or too high).

With those goodyear wranglers it seemed that as you went lower, below the all round 31 PSI the wear increased a lot of the shoulders, and as increase it wore the middle out. So should i just run at 30 or 31 PSI all round or keep going lower until the lose the final chalk mark on the outside? When sitting cold overnight they look saggly a little bit, but i guess this happens at all pressures to do weightload, etc. sitting.

Mine are at 45psi, but they are rated up to 65. I'd put at least 35 psi in them

would 265 75 16 fit on my explorer without any mods as ive found a set of goodyear wrangler rt/s

I'm running Bridgestone duelers 265*75*16 at the moment. They rub under some conditions (full lock and bumpy roads) but are otherwise fine. Beware you will loose acceleration and the speedo will be spot on instead of 65 for a true 70. Apparent mpg will drop as a result. Had them on for 20k now and wear pattern is good. Still got lots of tread left 15mm +.:D

thanks howard

i fitted 265 75 16 insa special track on mine with 20mm tread its a shade under 32 " and had to trim the plastic arches and some of the bumper to stop the rubbing ,i get a little when offroading due to flex but day to day i have no rubbing at all i run mine at 40psi but they are quite noisy but im getting used to the sound now, i wouldnt buy them again as they are overkill althogh they look nice my next set will probably be insa mountain as they look pretty good for a cheap price :)

I run that size too, but mine are grizzly claws.. no mods to fit, running 40psi. all good.. very noisy on road, but they're mud tyres, but I love them and I'm considering getting more when they wear out

Si

I run that size too, but mine are grizzly claws.. no mods to fit, running 40psi. all good.. very noisy on road, but they're mud tyres, but I love them and I'm considering getting more when they wear out

Si

hello si,looking at your pics on other thread you seem to have a fair bit of clearance under the arches has it been lifted at all in the past as mine seems to have nowhere near that clearance hence the chopping! :)

Nope, totally standard ride height, I'm planning on getting some lift shackles whilst I'm in Canada and then doing the TT and shackle thing...

Si

when i get a min ill post a phote of mine and you will see the difference ,mind you my shocks are still original with export sticker on might have something to do with it.im looking at shackles too but postage is more than the shackles from amazon.com so ill leave it for now ,cheers richard

I've got original shocks on too, I think they're finally starting to go, www.tellico4x4.com is the cheapest place to go for the shackles. WAR153 is the part number. I'm gonna get them sent to me in Canada and throw them in my suitcase on the way home!

Si

cheers ill have alook when i get paid might get a set .heres a pic with the bumper chopped so you can see how tight it was before hand!
03122008001.jpg
ps as im keeping them on full time now im going to swap them over to the alloys again as they look better than the steel ones!

Colway tyres

I had some Colway retreads on a Suzuki Rhino a few years ago, and they were awful. Grip and looks were good, but they needed loads of balance weights on the rims to stop bad vibration over 40 mph.
I think you get what you pay for, and personally I wouldn't use retreads except if going purely off-road. I currently have the Bridgestone Duelers on, and for road use they are fine, but i have to admit that I would like to put something that at least looks like a mud and snow tyre on soon, at a reasonable price though.
i have no idea what prices are being paid for standard size tyres. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.4x4tyres.com/ this should give you an idea. i hear what your saying about the balancing on retreads i have 4 or 5 weights all on each tyre but i use mine for offroading so i can live with it (and the noise!) .

Back