Tyre sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyre sizes

Jarmo

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sorry about all the noobie questions but I'm going through the explorer and doing all the little bits to try and get it back near perfect.

Am I correct thinking the standard UK tyre size is 255 x 70 x 16 ?

Does anyone know if 265 x 70 x 16 tyres will fit without rubbing, will they clear inner arches etc.

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes 255*70*16 are the standard tyre here in the UK. I've put 265*75*16's on and they did rub just a tiny bit, hence the TT/shackle lift. I would think that 265*70*16's would be fine without the lift.

I'm running 265/70 16 with no problems

!Bm+t7iQCGk~$(KGrHqIOKioEtkZMb(DjBLhs)eUO(g~~_12.jpg

Hi Guys
looking at these babys in 265 / 70 / 16
struggling a bit with sizes for insa and king pin all being a bit big as im not lifted ... (265 / 75 / 16 ) need cheapies ..
suggestions ?
heres the site
http://www.malatesta.it/index.cfm?area=prodotti&subarea=Fuoristrada&ID=Competizione_en&lan=en

they look nice rich, would imagine theyd be very noisey though .i got insa traction tracks which are siped and a hell of a lot quieter than the special tracks i used to run although over a inch thinner footprint but in same size ,have you tried paddocks spares by anychance? hope you find some soon

Im still looking but , my problem is the size...... im sure Paddocks do inza + kingpin in the 75 , not 265 / 70 / 16
I have a local 4x4 tyre place to call ,when i have the cash ..wont give price by email as prices change apparently ,
so will see what they say ,as be handy to get em + have em fitted , all in one hit
will let you know what the score is ..

@Swampy : did read your tyre post m8 -I like your insa traction tracks ..but there not available in my size :( ,

I would have AT 50/50,s BFG patterns again , but fancy a bit little more meat for wet work :)

the only thing that put me off was the white lettering on side wall

Isn't the white lettering only ever on one side to allow a choice of whether it shows or not?

SS

possibly only on one side?,i never questioned it when i phoned them to see if they had plain black and what the track width was be honest i just assumed they were directional tyres as my last set of tyres were and just prefered the traction tracks over them at the time.they look like a familiar tread pattern (bfg)though on the premier tyres so a bargain at that price (if you like white lettering:D) ,regards swampy

Thanks Swampy thats another option I am 90% sure I will go with these,
same pattern as what I have on now .... good for everything ...except going in the really rough stuff uphill ,
bit of mud sort out the white ..if I need too :)
front lower ball joints to order, cause theyve worn on the insides , get a tracking check done , fit new front diff while its all apart..... :) hopefully easter weekend

Ebay choices ...for 4 delivered
265/70 16 INFINITY 112H -£277

infinity.jpg

premier 4x4 All terrain tyres 265/70/16 - £300

at2.jpg

265/70R16 MALATESTA KOBRA NT 4X4 OFF ROAD TYRE - £300

kobra.jpg

if i remember rightly the premier tyres are not remoulds but dont quote me on that .the remoulded tyres tend to be a pain to balance so youll end up with a few weights on the rims!

King Pins tyres

Just ordered 4 of these King pin advantage AT 265 70 16 @ £230 delivered..
will post up what they are like when I get em fitted ,
didnt realise it but they are a British company ..swung it for me + the cheap price

kingpin_advantage.jpg

Tyres

How did you get on with the new tyres ie King pin advantage AT 265 70 16 as I am looking to get new tyres.

Regard

Simon

Having bought my first Ex. in the UK I'm looking to replace the tyres on mine. I have opted for Continental 255/70/R16 (marked M+S) tyres with the highest speed rating possible.

I figure that since my Ex. will spend 99% of its life 'on road' there is no point in going with AT tyres which would compromise the road going dynamics of my Ex.

Will report back once they are fitted tomorrow (07/04) - if anyone is interested.

How did you get on with the new tyres ie King pin advantage AT 265 70 16 as I am looking to get new tyres.

Regard

Simon
just seen this ... :)

Very happy good in the snow great on the road !

no complaints .. haven't tested in the mud yet ..

ihpj please report :)

Just come back from the tyre place and a full set of the Contis have been fitted. The exact spec. of tyre I have is as follows:

Continental ContiTrac 255/70/R16T 'M+S' Load Index: 111.

fordtyre.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well some 300-odd miles later the tyres are nearly scrubbed in. Have used them on the M1/M25/M11/A12/ A13 and various speeds *wink* and road conditions. Can report the tyres are very grippy (as I would expect from having previous Conti tyres fitted) and consequently the vehicle corners well. They are much less noisey on the road and provide good feedback while driving.

Well worth the money IMHO!

Back