• Register Today It's free!

Undesired Burn Out in the rain

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
Hi everybody,
Sometimes when it rain and I am trying to accelerate quickly from a complete stop in order to merge with traffic, my tires do the "burn out" thing. I am wondering if it is dangerous or if I need new tires? I am thinking it is dangerous because I have to let go of the paddle and accelerate again and that took a second or two. I tried to google the problem but it seems most people "want" the burn out. Is there something I need to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to learn how to have a lighter "lead" foot

Well, I guess the tires could be worn, but most of what you can do is learn how to feather the throttle just right so that doesn't happen. Instead of mashing the gas off the line, ease your foot into it so the torque doesn't all hit the ground at once, causing you to accidentally burn out.

Give it more gas, it'll eventually hook up :burnout:

Not to be rude, but is this serious?

Have your tires inspected by a shop.
They might be worn or old and dryed out causing poor traction on wet surfaces.

Well as ur username suggests, this is ur first car and , not going out on a limb here, first experiances driving.

As everyone has suggested u need to learn throttle control. Also you may want to have your tires checked, but throttle control in you first concern.

Go to a large EMPTY parking lot and practice accceleratin w/o spinning tires.
and before there may be other issues if you have a 4WD model DONT use the 4WD on wet pavemnet. That wont help your problem and will cause binding issues.

I mention this b/c a friend of mine said his 4WD is "hosed" and makes a lot of noise and is "jumpy". I asked him how much and under what conditions he uses his 4WD. He said "only when it rains"

Thank you everybody for your response. This is indeed serious. I did realize that pressing the gas lightly would help prevent the burn out. But as I was saying I was trying to merge in with traffic from a complete stop. When I saw a car coming I wanted to go fast before he hit me, that's why I didn't feather the gas. But the irony was when I tried to go fast by slamming on the gas, the burn out happened and I was delayed 2 seconds. I was troubled by that experience. The explorer is my first car and this is my first winter driving. I was posting to find out if this happens to everyone or just me. I wouldn't worry about it if it is a common thing.

well hey atleast you had the sense to ask! thats using your head....if you dont know...ask someone who might. since this is your first winter with a car you probly just need to learn how to drive in the rain.....like everyone else has suggested....go to learn to do that. big empty parking lots are perfect. and also get your tires checked out.....its a possibility that they are worn out. good luck and drive safe!

Thank you everybody for your response. This is indeed serious. I did realize that pressing the gas lightly would help prevent the burn out. But as I was saying I was trying to merge in with traffic from a complete stop. When I saw a car coming I wanted to go fast before he hit me, that's why I didn't feather the gas. But the irony was when I tried to go fast by slamming on the gas, the burn out happened and I was delayed 2 seconds. I was troubled by that experience. The explorer is my first car and this is my first winter driving. I was posting to find out if this happens to everyone or just me. I wouldn't worry about it if it is a common thing.

Go fast before he hits you? What about going slower so he doesn't hit you?

Paul Tracy? Is that you? I should have guessed...testing Explorers for Penske now?

Feather the throttle? Who does that? WOT till the wall....

Back