UPDATE: ?? trick to accessing 02 sensor connector??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UPDATE: ?? trick to accessing 02 sensor connector???

Cheddar Dan

Reaction score
City, State
White Pine, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey All!
Oxygen sensors unscrewed easily from exhaust end, but what is the trick to reaching the *OTHER END* of the 02 connectors wire?? They are high and tight on the rear of the engine against the firewall, but not high enough. They seem to be strapped down or contained in someway??? --maybe part of a bundled harness?? Can they or their harness be loosened enough to reach easier?

Ideas, please!!

THANKS!
.cd

This was helpful!

UPDATE: 02 sensors installed. A couple of things that help with this project are having a general idea of where the electrical end of the sensor harness resides (which is smack dab in the middle rear of the engine sandwiched between intake and firewall) and then cleaning, rubbing the connector enough to make it easier to see (mine was black and tough to notice until I rubbed it then the original white became visible) and manipulate. Placing a step stool in front of the grill, stepping up and LAYING OVER THE ENGINE was helpful in seeing and reaching the passenger side connector. NOTE: when facing firewall from front of vehicle the passenger side wiring bundle for the passenger side 02 sensor is about 6 inches toward driver from the auto trans dipstick and down about 6 inches. With some careful tugging the connector can be separated from the bundle and mount.
I began with the tougher (IMHO) of the two, the passenger side 02 sensor. The electrical end of the passenger side 02 sensor is attached with one of those plastic reusable fastener "plugs" that pull out but stay attached. Unplugging that wiring array (next to auto trans dip stick) made access to the 02 wire a little easier. I removed it from the array by unplugging it from its mount, then unplugging the 02 electrical connector from the [to be replaced] sensor, tying it off temporarily to keep it close to where its replacement will need to go and finally unscrewing the sensor piece from the exhaust that area and fishing the whole show up and out.
I had a difficult time seeing the DRIVER's side 02 electrical connector so clipped the (to be replaced) 02 sensor wires at the sensor and fished it up from low to high which showed me where its electrical end was located. I tied the connector end off with some large, white twist ties so I could easily find that connector location once the new 02 was installed.
At work I will edit this later, but you get the idea! :)

I done both sides...I removed driver side tire, and the wheel well plastic cover. I'm not long armed so the top of the motor reaching down didn't cut it for me lol. It was actually not that bad after making sure I wasn't unplugging the wrong jack. Re-attaching took a couple minutes too. Done the same on passenger side
I could actually see the driver side jack, passenger I just felt for the familiar shape of the jack....hope it makes it someone's job easier one day, it helped me.

Back