V8 Timing Chain Cover Gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Timing Chain Cover Gasket

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
Can the Timing Chain Cover gasket be replaced on 1998 V8 AWD explorer without removing the engine? If not how much should I expect to pay at a mechanics for this job?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the engine

I have no first hand experience with the V8 but my Haynes Repair Manual states that "the engine must be pulled to replace the oil pan. Replacement of the timing chain and sprockets, since the oil pan must be removed, should be done with the engine out of the vehicle." But then in a later section it gives an alternative procedure for removal and installation of the timing chain cover without removing the engine by leaving the oil pan attached. It appears the objective is to separate the front section of the oil pan gasket from the timing cover before lifting it away.

Thanks, maybe I need to get a Haynes manual. My Chelton manual doesn't show me that option, it seems to skip the detailed instructions for the V8.

There are 2 or 4 bolts (don't remember which) on the bottom of the oil pan that go into the timing chain cover. If you can access them from under the truck you shouldn't have to pull the engine.

I did it. You don't have to pull the engine. Just the radiator.

did this job last year. The 'tricky' part is the front part of the oil pan gasket. It is metal covered by rubber and cutting it flush with the block is a delicate operation. Search for writeups, as there are a few. That and definitely get the Haynes manual. They detail this operation. Fel-Pro makes a gasket kit that includes a cork element that replaces the front part of the oil pan gasket. Get new water pump/ cover bolts if they are corroded. I assume you had a coolant leak thru the cover and this is usually the result of coolant getting into the bolt holes and weakening the bolts.

I didn't cut mine. I RTV'd both sides of it, and left the original there. It's fine, even after hacking it up trying to remove the cover. Just don't hack them up when you take the cover off, and it should be fine. That gasket is way better than the paper replacement, and the cutting.

Haynes text

Here's the pertinent paragraph from my Haynes manual:

6. Remove the oil pan-to-timing chain cover bolts.

7. Use a razor knife (thin blade) or razor blade to cut the oil pan gasket flush with the engine block face, by inserting the blade behind the bottom corners of the front cover-to-block mating surfaces. The idea is to make a clean cut of the oil pan gasket so that cover removal doesn't tear the original gasket.

8. Remove the bolts and separate the timing chain cover from the engine block.

Back