vacuum disconnect question...

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
The snow is here in Indiana, so I decided to make sure my 4WD is in good working order. I took it to a gravel parking lot to test it out. I can here it engaging, so the shift motor is fine, but I think the vacuum disconnect is not engaging or something because I get no 4WD motion in Auto or Low. What should I inspect to make sure this is the problem? I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it seemed to work fine over the summer. I'm going to check the vacuum lines and see if there's anything wrong.

I haven't checked the vac lines yet because its cold as hell. I didn't touch the wiring at all so I don't think that's it.

When you find a warm spot :rolleyes:
It may be as simple as a vucuum line cracked.loose or off...or???..A thing to do to is check the disconnect on the axle. Pull the vacuum line off while the engine is running and with the 4x4 switch on and listen/feel for vacuum pressures and then for any noises that would indicate engagement/disingagement of the axle....
Just another process of elimination....its always something or another at times!!!! :rolleyes:

I know, I check things out today. Vaccum lines are fine and I got it to engage. It seems the vac disconnect is sticking or something. I have to cycle it in and out of 4lo a couple times to get it to engage. But it works.

dman726749 said:
prob just not used to being used, work it every day for a while and it may fix itself

That seems to have fixed the problem I have been having with my 96 Eddie Bauer. Now every time I get in I cycle the actuator switch and it still seems to be working ok. At least I can feel the front end binding up when I turn.

My shift motor sticks every now and again too. I need to rebuild it.

could someone explain how the vac disconnect works? OR a linkl to a schematic for it? I may need to figure out how to manipulate the system to allow the use of a 96 computer in my x with a 4406 xcase

Back