• Register Today It's free!

vacuum disconnect lock?

donlightbody

Reaction score
City, State
co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I've had this '95 ex for a bout 2 months now and still unfamilar with the front axle. Am used to my 88 BII manual hubs. So I noticed lastnight with the front wheels off that the axle shafts are turning when I spin the rotor, dash switch on 2wd and tcase not engaged. In the manual setup I know this isn't good. Looking through the chiltons I came across "vacuum disconnect axle lock." So I'm guessing this behavior is not normal for this truck. Am I correct? And does this sound like to place to look? It does seem like there is the possibility it locks in inside toward the diff and it is correct? Just confusing myself now... So, are the axle shafts supposed to spin with the wheels in 2wd? if not, is this the place to start? Thanks. hope I didn't confuse anyone as much as I did myself. :exp: wow it's late.

Yes, the axles will spin in 2WD. The 95+ Explorers all have the axleshafts firmly attached to the hubs with no way to disconnect them. They don't have disconnect hubs like your older vehicle.

The vacuum disconnect on the front axle actually "breaks" the right front axle shaft into two pieces so that the front differential is freewheeling in 2WD mode. The axle on the passenger's side is two pieces, with a slip collar that joins them together when the truck is put in 4WD.

The behavior you saw is normal.

Good. Thank you so much for letting me know. Wasn't sure if the wires to the hub were to let it and engage, but I guess they must be for ABS sensor. Thanks for the quick reply. Glad I don't need to dig into it already.

Back