• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum Line Missing?

FORDOPEO

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 MTN
Hello everyone---new to this forum. I have a 97 MTN 5.0L. It started to run rough the other day when I heard the infamous vacuum leak hiss. The leak is coming from the vacuum port "T" at the back of the engine under the intake manifold on the drivers side. The hose that goes from the PCV valve is connected to one leg of the this "T" but there is nothing on the leg that faces the front of the engine. I capped it off just to get it running smooth. I looked all over and could not find a hose that just came off. Is this supposed to be capped or am I missing a hose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not the brake booster vac line--I just went out and checked. The brakes are working fine. The "T" is under and about 3" from the back of the intake manifold. It is an upside down T coming out of the manifold. I can barely see it when you are looking in the engine bay with your head right above the battery. I have pics but I think that I need to join Elite Explorers to attach?

Look for a large hose slightly bigger than that "T" to be missing or even displaced from the throttle body or that tube that runs from the ECM to the throttle body. Actually that may not come directly from the ECM. I'm a bit out of touch on Fords but I'd at least say the tube from the breather to the throttle body.

Same missing hose

I have a 96 Limited 5.0L with the exact same issue. I saw the picture you posted and mine is missing a hose/or cap in the exact same location. There is no obvious hose missing. When I cap it, my idle returns to normal and nothing else seems to be affected.

Is there a hose there or a cap?

I never found a hose either. I put a cap on it and the truck runs fine. I bet there was a cap and they come off easy when they get old.

I can't tell from the picture because I can't get it enlarged enough to see it clearly. From what I can tell, it looks like a "t" that is threaded into the bottom of the upper intake. One side of this hooks into the vacumm line to the pcv valve. I beleive the other side is capped off. I do not remember exactly how the vacuum hoses were when I bought my explorer intake from the junkyard. You can actually eliminate this "t". I have done this when I installed this intake on my cougar. Not sure if this helps.

I went to a local ford dealership and they searched thier parts database and could not find what, if anything, the other side of the "Tee" is connected to.

I've been running for about 4 days and no codes have come up. Along with your comments about this situation, Im going to conclude that this tee was supposed to be capped and just go with it that way

Unless some knows other wise ;)

The older 91-94 Explorers often can blow a tiny vacuum "T" off of their junction block. Those are usually caused by a slight backfire at startup, occasionally.

If you notice the engine "cough" ever at initial start up, stop and immediately get out and look under the hood for a blown off cap. I had that issue on my 93 because of a lack of initial fuel pressure(excess bleed down). I had to turn the ignition on-off twice before starting, when cold.

It sounds like a simple vacuum cap which has blown off. Good luck,

humming

do you think that problem has anything to do with the loud hum i hear when i come to a stop sometimes

do you think that problem has anything to do with the loud hum i hear when i come to a stop sometimes

Check your IAC valve, on top of the engine. The air inlet on those often fails and causes the odd noise, and poor running later. Regards,

hum

just not to fermiler with it were would i locate that

thats for the instant reply

Back