Replacing vacuum hoses? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Watson1998

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer xlt
I bought my 1998 ford explorer xlt v6 sohc about a month ago now. I replaced the belt and will be doing a tune up this weekend but I believe that it has a vacuum hose leak. I heard hissing under the good after I turned the engine off. It was a soft hiss on the left side(when you face the front of the truck) and the truck has a rough idle and hesitant acceleration at times.

I'm new to working on cars but I really want to learn. The repair book has been no help. My question is: where can I find the hoses under the hood? Is there a diagram? Can I just buy bulk tubing and cut to size or are they specialized?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

upper & lower intake manifold gaskets

I wouldn't replace any vacuum hoses unless I determined they were bad. Here's a link to where they go: Intake manifold vacuum lines

Your 1998 has the variable intake system (VIS) so there are some additional hoses associated with it: VIS Conversion

If you have lean codes this link may help: Lean condition procedure

Another place to check which you may have overlooked ... there is a vacuum resevoir that looks like a round, black plastic ball located down low next to the radiator on the passenger side.

Your hiss may be your a/c pressures equalizing after you shut the engine off, the orifice tube is on the passenger side, and I would hate to see you replace all your vacuum hoses if it's that simple. Open your hood and see if it's coming from the a/c instead of a vacuum line. If it makes the noise with the a/c on, but not when it's off, that is where the noise is coming from. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for all your answers - I'm just having a rough time trying to figure out why there is a rough idle. I have a video with the sound and am trying to find a way to load it.

I went over the hoses and there wasn't any signs of cracks or weaknesses.

I cleaned the throttle body and it lessened the idle but there is still a roughness and a almost clicking type sound.

It seems unlikely that the noise you hear is a vacuum leak after the engine is off. As others have mentioned, there are other things the noise could be. An air leak could cause the idle issue, but the suggestion to clean the IAC is a good one too. You may have more than one thing going on.

Back