Van won't start suddenly. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Van won't start suddenly.

thename1000

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I need help:

I have a 1994 Ford Aerostar. For months now (as far as I know, I got it a month ago) the only problem I've noticed has been the acceleration has been low and it sometimes shifted hard. Also the check engine light has been on and off for a couple weeks. Today all of a sudden I couldn't accelerate and the engine possibly turned off and I pulled over. The radio stayed on and so did the lights. I turned the car off and then it won't come back on. It will crank but wont start. The lights etc are all fine so I don't think its the battery or alternator.

It could be the fuel pump right? I heard that I should hear some kind of sound if I turn the key but dont crank it and that sound is the fuel pump for a few seconds. When I do this I do hear a sound coming from the back of the van for two seconds, it sounds like a "brr" purr sound, and the seats vibrate a little. Is this the fuel pump working? If so what else could be my problem?

I want to get it towed to a repair place asap. If I signed my with AAA or roadside assistance with Geico (i have the insurance just not the roadside) would they possibly tow it for me cheaper (if i got a year sub with AA or something) than paying $80 to get some local place to do it?

So really two questions, thanks alooot guys :)

I think it might be better for me to first test the codes myself but im clueless:

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

2. Get a length of wire that can connect the STI to the negative battery terminal or body ground.
3. Ground the Self-Test Input.

Where can I get this wire? Can someone put the steps into easy terms, because all I see is plug one end into the STI and the other into the neg battery terminal on the battery. What is the STI? Thats all I have to do to get it into test mode?

Welcome to this forum! There are a couple of threads on the top of the EEC-IV section with diagrams on how to check for codes. All you need is a piece of wire (nothing special). You could even bend a paper clip if you don't have any spare wire. This photo was in another no start thread in this section:
00ea6bfe.jpg

Back