• Register Today It's free!

Vibration after tire rotation

Convict1997

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 2wd XLT 4.0 OHV auto
1996 4.0 OHV automatic 2wd. 150k miles. Recently had my tires rotated and now I have a very noticeable vibration coming from the front end. My steering wheel "oscillates" back and forth when driving straight. Seems to be more noticeable when I am coasting than when on the gas. Since the previous rotation, I have received a work van so the explorer doesn't get driven very often. About 85% of the miles between that rotation and the most recent one were towing my four wheeler. Would towing cause an abnormal wear pattern on the rear tires that would cause this vibration or should I be looking for worn suspension components or alignment issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you have the tires re-balanced when they were rotated? if not you need to get them balanced. it's also possible you have a bent rim.

If the issue suddenly showed after the rotation, then you've got a wheel/tire issue.
Have a tire shop inspect them for you.

First thing to check is that the lug nuts are done up tight.
Then check inflation pressures and wheel runout.
Check the tyres for damage.

Maybe the fitters turned your steering with the engine off introducing air to the power steering.
With the engine running cycle the steering back and forth a few times to eliminate air.

Definitely not air in the power steering. I've experienced that before. Also, I don't notice the vibration when turning the wheel as much as when driving straight. The tires were balanced when rotated. I have a lifetime balance, rotation, and alignment on the truck. I'll have them rebalanced and check the alignment. While the wheels are off, I'll check them for any bent rims. How can I go about checking wheel runout?

Definitely not air in the power steering. I've experienced that before. Also, I don't notice the vibration when turning the wheel as much as when driving straight. The tires were balanced when rotated. I have a lifetime balance, rotation, and alignment on the truck. I'll have them rebalanced and check the alignment. While the wheels are off, I'll check them for any bent rims. How can I go about checking wheel runout?

have the tire shop do it.

Back