vibration / wheel wobble at higher speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vibration / wheel wobble at higher speeds

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I was having a high speed wheel wobble so I looked everything over on the ground and noticed my front right tire was getting uneven wear on the outside. I jacked up the truck and the bearing on the front right had some movement. I swapped the tires left to right until my new set of bearings came in the mail. Replaced bearings and the wobble is still there, so jacked up all 4 corners and let it spin at 15mph, there was a slight runout on the tire with the odd wear so I moved it to the rear but while doing this the front left swaybar end link bushings "top" looked like they are pulling through and I will replace these soon but question is will a bad sway bar end link cause a steering/wheel wobble at higher speeds... I only drove on the E way for about 3 minutes at 70mph since rotating the tires and did not feel the wobble.. will know more the next time I drive to work "20 miles @ 70mph"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think a sway bar link would cause a wobble. I would be looking at the ball joints and tie rod ends.

Balance the tires?

Sway bar link wont do it. I would have a real close look at the tires, and also second the balance recommendation. Check for any uneven wear or cupping from the bad wheel bearing.

the strangest thing happened... I changed the plugs and fuel filter and the wheel wobble went away... something says coincidence but Im happy lol

Im wondering if your "wobble" could've been the engine shuddering...

I know exactly what you're referring to, and I've experienced it as well before, changed my plugs but not wires. Thats next. Did you do yours?

when i bought it all the tires were brand new but I have 1 now that is wearing funny but I think that was from the bearing that I had to change last month

Back