Vibration when braking. Anyone Else??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration when braking. Anyone Else???

DefinitiveCars

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Sport
I have a 2013 Ex Sport, stock. In December 13' I was driving down a grade (Camarillo, Ca) Around 70mph. I had just left a parking lot 2 miles away and car was not running for an hour before this. I was braking for some light traffic down the grade and the car just started shuttering. It was in the steering wheel and the whole car. Pretty scary situation.

Take the car to the dealer and was told that the brakes were warped. They replaced them as a "good faith" gesture, one time, under warranty.

Here I am now with the same issue, this time my wife driving with kids in the car, and it happens to her. All I can say is that she is not happy. Wont drive the car anymore, and I dont blame her.

Dealership is taking care of me and covering a rental which is great, but I dont know what is going to happen with the brakes or car? It obviously has some kind of problem. Wifes your typical soccer mom, and I am a car enthusiast. I know enough about brakes to know this is not normal.

Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That thread does not seem the same as my problem. But thank you.

Caliper piston seizing? Causing heat to continuously build up? Usually doesnt happen to newer rides. Then again, I live in rental cars and I drive em like I stole em. I usually get potato chip rotors 1 hour into my drive. :)

Warped rotors?

So I got word from the dealer that the front rotors were warped again. I just don't understand regular driving could do this twice in 24k miles. There's got to be a problem with the car that is causing this.

The dealership is replacing them again, but I don't want to be dealing with this again in another 10k miles. Ugh.

So I got word from the dealer that the front rotors were warped again. I just don't understand regular driving could do this twice in 24k miles. There's got to be a problem with the car that is causing this.

The dealership is replacing them again, but I don't want to be dealing with this again in another 10k miles. Ugh.
That is why I brought up the other thread initially. Perhaps there is some slight braking action going on all the time. Just a thought. There is no way a 2013 model should be getting its 3rd set of rotors at this point. I wonder what kind of shape are the pads in?

Peter

Do you use automatic car washes a lot without letting the rotors cool down?

No automatic car washes and it's the second set of rotors so far. This time fronts only. Last time all of them. They are replacing the pads as well. But it doesn't feel like there's any brake pressure all the time but it's possible. If this happens again I'm claiming lemon law. I'm sick of this.

D

No automatic car washes and it's the second set of rotors so far. This time fronts only. Last time all of them. They are replacing the pads as well. But it doesn't feel like there's any brake pressure all the time but it's possible. If this happens again I'm claiming lemon law. I'm sick of this.

D
You're forgetting the original ones.

Peter

I had the same issue on my Taurus SHO. went through a brake job a year. Havnt had this issue so far with my sport but its very simply that the sport is too big and goes too fast to stop as quickly as we do. The sport has some supersized rotors that I think solve a lot of the issues but if you do it too often then theyre going to warp. Its a wonderfully built truck but youre going to have to look into some slotted or vented rotors if you keep having the same brake warp issue.

Thanks for the advise but it's my wife's car and it's a lease. I shouldn't have to worry about my brakes... :(

1. Dragging caliper(s)
2. Wheel bearing
3. Does your wife ride the brakes, or brake with her left foot and/or resting on the pedal?

1. Dragging caliper(s)
2. Wheel bearing
3. Does your wife ride the brakes, or brake with her left foot and/or resting on the pedal?

I'm betting it's number 3. Considering all 4 rotors have warped. Hard to believe all 4 wheels have bad calipers and I highly doubt it's wheel bearings.

No e does not drive with two feet and drag the brake. I would not say she rides the brakes either. She a little heavy with the brakes, but pretty normal. She's had 7 cars never one brake problem before...

No e does not drive with two feet and drag the brake. I would not say she rides the brakes either. She a little heavy with the brakes, but pretty normal. She's had 7 cars never one brake problem before...

I'm not tryin to be an ass... But chances are it ain't the car. Unless the pedal is sticking or something is going on with traction control.

I didn't say you were being an ass... I drive a highly modded M3. I do racing events regularly and have owned more than 20 cars. Never seen anything like this. So yea it may not be the car but that doesn't mean the brakes are weak for this car and it's power.

But again she has never ruins the brakes in any other car so I don't think it's her. No clue what can be going on. It's not that easy to warp the brakes. And I don't know the first time if it was all four but they replaced them all.

Also, just to make a point, this car is supposed to be boards high-performance SUV. It should easily be able to handle a little heavy breaking here and there. Don't you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is definitely something odd going on here because the Sport brake system comes from the Interceptor program. The Interceptor parts are the same as the Sport.

This brake system has to pass the Michigan State Police brake test and the LA Sheriff's brake test.

Both are WAY more abusive to brakes then what you or your wife could do.

I suggest using the Ford CS on this forum and escalate the issue through a regional rep because the engineers assigned to brakes will be tasked with investigating then.

The Interceptor Utility's have been plagued with squealing brakes since introduction and most recently Ford has come up with a solution that involves a new pad design with chamfered pad edges and a special insulation shim/pad on the outside face of the pad between the pad and the caliper piston. The squeal is gone now.

Back