Vibration when braking. Anyone Else??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration when braking. Anyone Else???

I didn't say you were being an ass... I drive a highly modded M3. I do racing events regularly and have owned more than 20 cars. Never seen anything like this. So yea it may not be the car but that doesn't mean the brakes are weak for this car and it's power.

But again she has never ruins the brakes in any other car so I don't think it's her. No clue what can be going on. It's not that easy to warp the brakes. And I don't know the first time if it was all four but they replaced them all.

Is check for something sticking then. Of course the dealer should do this but it seems like they donno what they're doing.
With the engine running back up to a wall at night. Hold the brake and let off. Do the brake lights go out when you let off the pedal?
Jack up all 4 wheels. Have someone sit in the car and hold the brake. Can you spin the wheel when they let off the brake? Keep in mind it's AWD so you'll be spinning the drivetrain (I don't believe these cars have a limited slip but I'd use N anyways)
If you still haven't found the problem, y'all need to work out a way for her to tell you when she's braking. And not braking. Cell phone? Now drive behind her and watch the brake lights. Are they coming on or staying on when they shouldn't be?
If it passes all those then idk. Gonna have to go to ford. But that should test the pedal returning, master cylinder/abs for sticking, and check that traction control/adaptive cruise control aren't coming on unnessararly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a '13 Sport too and have grinding noise when they warm up. If I brake for an extended time, such as a down hill section, the brakes get grabby and with a loud grinding noise. In my autocross days we would have thought the brake pads were crap or the rotors were shot. I've got less than 20k miles so I don't think they're worn. Mine also don't warp. I retorqued my lugs though when I swapped to better rubber.

I've got a '13 Sport too and have grinding noise when they warm up. If I brake for an extended time, such as a down hill section, the brakes get grabby and with a loud grinding noise. In my autocross days we would have thought the brake pads were crap or the rotors were shot. I've got less than 20k miles so I don't think they're worn. Mine also don't warp. I retorqued my lugs though when I swapped to better rubber.

The owners manual does say to re torque lugs 500 miles after tire changes/rotations.
No mention of this after my rotation at the dealer ...or anywhere else..
Wonder if it matters?

From the Owner's Guide;

Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque within 100 miles
(160 kilometers) after any wheel disturbance (such as rotation, flat tire,
wheel removal).

The only one to ever tell me that was the service person at the tire shop where I had my Hankooks swapped out on the day I got the Explorer. At no time during the 3 years that I had my Explorer did the dealer's service people tell me that when I went in for the annual Winter/OEM wheel changeover, nor did I get it done.

Peter

Warped rotors

I have had an ongoing issue with my brakes on my 13 ex sport as well. It's been to the dealer about 5 times already. They turn the front rotor 3 times before they replace them. They also turned the rear 2 times and I still have a vibration issue on the pedal when applying the brake on high speeds or when going down hill. This has been a nightmare!!! Dealer try accusing us of warping rotors!!! Really?!!! I have owned more than 5 cars in the past 8 years and I have never had an issue with warping rotors!!!
Planning to take it in soon for the 6th time for the vibration. My bet is that the rears are warped. They have to be replace too. It's ridiculous to be going through this. Rotors are only about $100 a pair for the rear. Ford has spent more money on paying my local dealer on turning them by now!!!
Wish me luck!! Lemon law will be next!!!

I have had an ongoing issue with my brakes on my 13 ex sport as well...

Reach out to me via PM, Virgilp316; I'd like to look into this and see how I can best assist. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start researching ways to help.

Crystal

Back