VME HIDs Troubleshooting ** SOLVED w/DRL Too ** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

VME HIDs Troubleshooting ** SOLVED w/DRL Too **

I just finished installing a set of HI/LO HIDs from VME.

The problem I am encountering is that they are not switching from HI/LO vise versa unless I put a bulb in the free 9007 socket.

Anyone have any ideas what can be done?

These are those magnetic bulbs that pull the bulb inward to get highbeams.

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no clue, but I wana see pics

Right now they seem to work reversed, there is a magnet that pulls the bulb back when HI is set.

I'll get pics anyhow soon, waiting for them to email me backabout this, if not i'll have to rig something up myself.

Ken

HIDs

How these work mecanically, the bulb actaully pulls into the socket for hibeams as shown in second pic.

Attachments

• DSC_0497_resize_resize.JPG
    DSC_0497_resize_resize.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC_0500_resize_resize.jpg
    DSC_0500_resize_resize.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,178

Mine stay on Lo-beams all the time, even when I switch to HI

If I put a bulb on the open socket on the pasenger side, the hids automatically switch to HI, eventhough the MFS is set to LO-beam (The halogen shows LO-beam) I can't figure why the hids switch when I plug in the 9007 into the open socket.

But when I switch from LO to HI on the MFS the halogen switches correctly to HI, but the Hids go to low. Complete opposite.

I know it's just a wiring bug, just got to find it.

how much did that kit set you back with shipping to the great white north?

DRL's seem to work well, just a wiring glitch for HI/LO I think

After a little breka from the frustration of the wiring, I finally solded my dilemma.

Searching a bit, I took note of the wiring diagram for the headlights, and found that the control socket to the hIDs was wired differently than what was for the EX.

They had the socket wired with the following:

Orange => HiBeam (Lt.Green/Black)
White => Ground (Black)
Blue => LoBeam (White/Lt.Green)

After a bit of troubleshooting, I found the following to work:

Orange => HiBeam (Lt.Green/Black)
Blue => Ground (Black)
White => LoBeam (White/Lt.Green)

It seemed that they had the ground mixed up for 9007's. :thumbdwn:

The next problem I encountered was the HIDs had a delay when then MFS was switched (about 1 second), this would not work too well if you needed to flash someone. I found that by putting a resister to the open socket on the passenger side to simulate a halogen, the HIDs switched on demand from HI/LO beams.

These HIDs after these changes did not require you to disable the DRL's, as I have them working with no problems. :)

Thanks to all those that helped and we intersted.

Ken

Attachments

• 90049007fix.jpg
    90049007fix.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,272

Now that you have them up and working - how do you like them? Good, solid light? I'm considering the single lights for mine.

Sorry, double post

the thing that i want to know is how do they work in the winter. it was around -40 here for a month. i wonder if they would freeze up or not?

The ones I have are rated for -45 to 105 c, we'll find out what happends in the fall. Our winters out here max out at about -35c.

With the black headlights I have the odd shadow, but that is with the reflector in place still. I may be removing that still to see what happends.

Pictures to come soon, been working at night lately and haven't had time to take them yet.

Ken

I found that by putting a resister to the open socket on the passenger side to simulate a halogen, the HIDs switched on demand from HI/LO beams.

what kind of resistor did you use and where would you get it. i find that it takes a while for the lights to switch as well.

I found that a 10k worked fine, but it kept falling out.

I ended up just attaching a spare 9007 bulb on the open socket, and haven't had any problems since. The Hi-Beam indicator works too.

Back