• Register Today It's free!

Warped Rotors--squeaky brakes

IFLY

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Grove, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have driven this particular 1994 Explorer for almost 7 years now, and have been plaqued with front brake problems for the entire time.

When I first bought this rig, I put new brakes all around including new drums in back and calipers in front. New front brake hoses and pads and shoes.

The problem seems to be in the left front...when the rotor first warped, I thought that maybe it had been over torqued by the tire shop that installed new tires?

So I had it turned, and now I have replaced it again.

Even after tire balancing, I take it home and retorgue all the lug nuts.

A new problem has arisen this time in the fact that I can hear the front brakes draggins..and when I stop, at the last portion of the roll out when I am moving slowly, the brakes sticks and releases??

I have tried to look through the postings, and have found alot of very good info. Just nothing that relates to this situation.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

The rotors aren't really worth turning on an X. They are fairly thin (for the vehicle weight) to start with, so if you turn them, the lifespan will be fairly short.

Have you greased the slide pins and made sure that the calipers aren't sticking or gunked up where they slide on the caliper base?

BTW moving to the appropriate forum.

When I bought my parts truck, previous owner told me that he had replaced the brake hoses 2x and the rotors were at min thickness because his brakes kept sticking... said the hoses did it.

Also what JDraper said, grease those $#@#$ pins and check/replace/rebuild the caliper

-Ted

Warped Rotors

Thanks Guys

I will remove the calipers and clean and lub.

The rotors on the truck are new..

We were replacing rotors pretty fast on our X. We replaced the calipers and were careful about torqing the lug nuts. We even tried different brand rotors..

What finally worked for us was using ART rotors.. They are slotted and cryo treated.. but they aren't cheap. . They are about $300 a set.. We have about 200k miles on the same set of rotors now..

~Mark

Properly seating and final torque adjustment of the spindle nut can also play a big role. Assumes you've also replaced the wheel bearings...

Mike

my money is on calipers...

id guess calipers too are they brand new or just rebuilt?? ive heard lots of rebuilts are not so hot kind of hit or miss thing
flushing brk lines with all new fluid wouldnt hurt too :))

Thanks for all the info. When I get a new (to Me) vehicle, I usually do the brakes, bearings, hoses, etc. to include flushing out all the brake fluid...In past years, I have found that it attracts water and causes other problems. I appreciate all the input.

I went ahead and took the calipers off, and found that the anti rattle clip on the left front inner pad was broken. So much for not installing new...I cleaned everything up and lubed the caliper mating surfaces, installed new guide pins, and new anti rattle clips. The problem is solved..Thanks Again Guys

My rotors warped three times before I figured out the problem. (Thank the lord for warentee on the rotors.) Anyways I feel stupid for even bringing this up but it was the wheelbearings. YOU MUST REPLACE THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and seat them properly.

Back