• Register Today It's free!

Weird Noise from behind guages

dmathews

Reaction score
City, State
Beattyville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
I have this weird noise from behing my guages on my 99 explorer. idk what is causing it but u can only hear it from inside the car. Its not the timing chain bc then u could hear it under the hood, this u cant. It does it right around 2500 rpm either when driving or when parked and its just driving me crazy. I have searched the forums and some ppl talk about it but never says what it was or how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blend door actuator? It might sound like it's coming from behind the gauges. Don't know why it would happen around 2500 RPM though. Just a suggestion...

I read about that but if that is messed up doesnt it mess with the heating or cooling or something?

It generally won't switch between hot and cold. My SHO is stuck on the hot side, which kinda sucks since I drive it in the warmer months. lol

Mine switchs from hot to cold fine. People that sit on the passenger side say it sounds like it comes from the speedo. I guess im going to take out the dash and see whats making that noise.

could be the worm gear for the odometer giving out

2500 RPM's will occur at different vehicle speeds. It can't be speedo related.

You sure it's not the timing chain? The rattle happens at approx 2500-2700 and under load. Sometimes you can't hear it just reving the engine while your under the hood.

im sure, my timing chain does make a noise but this is a different noise and its never under a load, i have had a mechanic look at it and he doesnt know. he was sitting in it and could hear it but i didnt hear nothing under the hood.

I have exactly the same noise. I assumed it was timing chain rattle, though I've always been suspicious that it may be something else, since it sounds more plastic-y than metallic. Same as yours, it occurs around 2500-2700 RPM, sound like it's coming from behind the instrument cluster, doesn't matter whether it's under load or not. I'm quite sure it's not something in the instrument cluster, as I've replaced the entire unit, but I've never done an exhaustive search for alternative sources of noise.

Back