What are those headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are those headlights?

I'm wondering what kind of headlights are those used in import cars such as BMW, Lexus,...etc. It seems brighter than our Explorer's bulbs. Are those the PIAA superwhite bulbs; Hella 500? I'm considering in purchasing a pair of headlights for my Explorer.

n2knee
1998 Explorer 5.ohh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HID

Hey those are High Intensity Discharge (HID) systems which are really expensive. To put a HID conversion in your car is very costly and thats why you mostly see them standard on luxury cars.

In other words, the entire lighting system must be replaced? What about a PIAA super white bulbs or other brands similar to the PIAAs?

To everyone who installed PIAA super white bulbs/similar product: How do you like it? Did you notice a difference compared to the stock bulbs? I appreciate your responses.

About the superwhites, I saw a difference when I had one old one in and a superwhite in. But once I had both the superwhites in I didn't really notice it on the road. I might get some Xenon gas charged bulbs, which are supposed to be brighter, or similar to the PIAA's, and they have more of the HID look, but are a lot less.

hey n2knee, if you haven't done so already, register to win a free set of the superwhites... and find out for yourself! :). BY the way I like my superwhite bulbs.

I hope they're banned before too many vehicles get them. I see them all the time installed by owners and then they don't have them adjusted and blind the crap out of everyone. I think they killed the brightness of the Daytime Running Lights these will probably be next. I've notice that GM cars have the park lights on instead of the headlights, on the newest cars.

Originally posted by Grateful11
I hope they're banned before too many vehicles get them. I see them all the time installed by owners and then they don't have them adjusted and blind the crap out of everyone.

Of course I will have it adjusted by a professional in consideration of the other drivers.

hey n2knee, if you haven't done so already, register to win a free set of the superwhites... and find out for yourself! . BY the way I like my superwhite bulbs

I registered already. Thanks! (Please select me...Please select me....)

Originally posted by Grateful11
I hope they're banned before too many vehicles get them. I see them all the time installed by owners and then they don't have them adjusted and blind the crap out of everyone. I think they killed the brightness of the Daytime Running Lights these will probably be next. I've notice that GM cars have the park lights on instead of the headlights, on the newest cars.

Well, I installed a pair of Xenon superwhites myself...there is NO need to have them "pointed", it's just a bulb replacement, so unless you do it wrong the angle of the light shouldn't be changed. As far as parking lights, are you saying dtrl's are using just parking lights now? Does that make sense? Parking lights are for PARKING, NOT DRIVING! I'm not attacking you, just wanted to know what you meant.

There are parking lights? Hmm I never knew there were lights just for parking, never really needed them. On the other hand, maybe they are using the running lights instead of reduced output high beams.

BTW has anyone actually tried to use their PARKING brake in an emergency? LOL I tried it once, took 2 blocks to stop! would have been better off throwing it in reverse and then into park!

I wish people would stop calling it an emergency brake since they aren't for emergencies, but for parking.

wow..you must be spoiled by the "auto-lamp system" !! j/k. ya know the switch ya use to turn your lights on? just turn it to the first position...now your "parking lights" are on. turn it to the next position and all your lights are on(except fog and/or driving lights).
One thing I've noticed is that a lot more I hear the brake referred to as the "Parking Brake" . They are too unpredictable to rely on for "emergencies". I've seen some that lock up the tires as soon as you apply them and some that don't hardly even slow you down (probably broke ones!)

I was being sarcastic. They are really refered to as running lights, not parking lights. I was a truck driver for a few years, and running lights are primarily used so you can see where the hell your trailer is at night when running down the road. They also stem back from ships. They don't use head lights, but they do have running lights so that others can see them at night. So basically that is what they are, running lights. BTW I hate when people drive at dusk or dawn and just turn the running lights on, you can barely see them coming, why is it that they have the switch that way? Why not just either have the lights on, or have them off, and not in between? Never could understand that one. If you off on the side of the road and you want people who are driving up to know your there, that is what the 4 way flashers are for. :)

Emergency Brake

I think people interpret the term incorrectly. The "emergency brake" is not to be used in an emergency braking situation. The emergency brake will lock the back tires if enough force is applied. The e-brake uses a manual method to apply the rear brakes only, and that is why, as some of you have noticed, it is less effective. The emergency that would require you to use the e-brake is if your regular brakes don't work at all. If your regular brake pedal goes to the floor, you will be extremely glad you had that extra brake pedal. I guess you can use it for parking. It is not completely necessary...I don't think Rich has one. My thoughts.

Kilroy--

my last was pretty much a joke too about the lights thing..should've made that clear..figured you were kidding too. Anyway, not to argue, BUT..when I was in the Navy, we always had these anual required training meetings on things like work safety, anti-terrism(SP?) and driving/traffic laws. During the driving ones I clearly remember several police officers/officials saying that parking lights are for parking, not driving. I even remember that in some states it's illegal to drive with just parking lights on. I would think that "running lights" on a rig are just that...I agree about people who drive with parking lights on...that's the reason you are not supposed to drive with just them on, because they are for parking..if you drive with just your parking lights on, esp if it's hazy or not a clear day, you may appear...PARKED to other drivers....I don't know..maybe I'm AFU, but this is what I remember being taught.

"Parking Lights"

RU Dawg,

I think you're right! I'm pretty sure that somewhere buried in the CA vehicle code, that it's illegal here to drive with only your Parking/Running lights on. You occaisionally see it here, but they usually seem to have out of state plates, so I thought it might be legal in some other states.

FexplorerV8 said:

holy dead post batman! I think they figured that out when this thread was last used like 6 yrs ago.

-Rich

As for the e-brake thing, yes it isn’t the best brake in the world, but if you use it correctly and its adjusted right, you can stop fairly quick.

In my moms 95 thunderbird the master cylinder went out (yeah Ford cant make a good one for there cars to save there life) on the tollway here when she was doing about 70 going for an off-ramp. When she was heading down the ramp she applied the brakes to realize no brake at all.

That when she hit the e-brakes down, and tried to start pumping the normal brakes up. Thankfully the e-brake did not lock up the tires though, but applied a good force of stopping power. She blew through an intersection and then was able to stop by the time she came to the gas station. This was maybe a half a block.

Don’t dis the e-brake, it may very well save your life.

Although I can tell you the e-brake for my truck would not bable to do this, sadly I cant find a good meathod to adjust it. The wire is as tight as I can put it, it seems that its stretched over the years :(

LMFAO I did it on purpose to see if any1 would notice =]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does anyone know if there's a hid kit for a 99 explorer?

tia

Back