What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Today I successfully replaced the bushings on the driver power window. Pulled the entire electric motor apart, cleaned it and removed all the plastic pieces left from the original ones. Put it all back together, bench tested it and it worked fine. Obviously reinstalled motor back in drivers door, all systems working properly. Pick up passenger bushings tomorrow and do that side after work tues. Beer time.

20220417_131531.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This weekend I fixed a CEL by replacing the EGR, stopped a sunroof leak by dropping the headliner and reconnecting the loose drain tube, then replaced the fuel filter which was harder than it needed to be.

Then I failed to fix a balky cruise control by replacing the brake fluid sensor and also failed to fix non working high beams by replacing the multifunction switch on the steering column.. Both problems appear to be related to the botched installation of an aftermarket remote start that left a full bowl of spaghetti's worth of excess wiring under the dash. The previous owner told me it had some "electrical gremlins". :mad: He's probably the idiot that wired it all in.

But my wife and I took a nice drive through farm country and it ran great with the EGR fixed.

Got the KYBs (Gas-a-Justs) in a couple weeks ago..holy crap..night and day. No more bounce...body lean gone-ish. Handles like a brand new 93'...steering is nice and tight. 65mph shake this gen is known for is gone too. So im digging the handling big time....very "Sporty".

Everyone here I read said the backs would be hard......nah.....those were easy. Done in 25 min flat. Did not even jack up the truck (jack was for support against any sag..of which there is none..more of a coalmine canary).

Now the fronts were challenging. Had to use the jack to line up with the pin on the radius arm...but once I got it right...it slid right on. Everything else was easy. I must be the human torque wrench as all bolts were just under or at correct torque when checked.

The old Monroematics did great though considering I got almost 200K out of them. Just a little too soft for my taste.

20220402_133928.jpg 20220402_112914.jpg 20220402_134928.jpg 20220402_134946.jpg

Today I changed my power steering cooler
I kinda dropped a engine on mine lol just a little tho

View attachment 428680
Got a brand used unit from the junk yard
Cleaned it
View attachment 428681
That's what I did with my ex today :)
Power steering cooler - looks pretty robust (especially the After pic LOL) Stock or added? Didn't know there was such a thing.

Stock
Cheap at the junk yard
Power steering cooler

Replaced the front wheel bearings on both sides and the front brakes. Water got into the grease. I need some new o rings for the locking hub but they are hard to find.

I replaced the stock cassette player with a Pioneer C.D., Bluetooth player. It went fairly smooth except filing the center dash section was a file and fit, file and fit procedure. Final result, player sounds excellent and looks great in dash. Used Scoshe wire adapter and dash install kit.

Watched Doug Demuro review the 1st gen (underwhelming, basically no Quirks and Features and the Doug Score is a sheet off a powerpoint), while I plan my annual Radius arm Bushing swap (got that telltale clunk beginning) - trying to decide whether to do it myself or have a shop do it since I don't think I have enough tools for that job (if I do it, I'm going to be hammering out rivets with hand chisels and a Amazon cordless drill with a stepper bit - that's the biggest part that bugs me, well that and I'm going to chock all 4 tires REALLY good so the suspension can shift only very little). Tempted to go with neoprene this go around but not 100% sure how stiff would be too stiff, maybe they'll compliment the Monotubes. I'm on call again, not so sure I want to be showering myself in truck rivets and bashing knuckles while talking to Doctors with RAM issues on the phone again (that was my shock install minus the rivets). Once this, the rear diff, and tuneup are done, this things good for another 100K (next will be the 500K spectacular, lol).

I need to get this done because the Explorer is going to be the sole vehicle for awhile. My Wife's Corolla was hit TWICE within the last 8 months (once by a drunk frat boy in a Silverado, next by someone in our parking lot while we were asleep) so it's going in for bodywork on the 9th - and I got a little extra saved along with the insurance payout to make sure it's all done. could be 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months.

Watched Doug Demuro review the 1st gen (underwhelming, basically no Quirks and Features and the Doug Score is a sheet off a powerpoint)
well.... compared to an aztek, the X's dont have too many quirks 🤣 quite point and shoot compared if you ask me... but... if you dig deeper, you do find some interstin stuff!!! just a matter of going deeper;)

well.... compared to an aztek, the X's dont have too many quirks 🤣 quite point and shoot compared if you ask me... but... if you dig deeper, you do find some interstin stuff!!! just a matter of going deeper;)
Have to agree there. I just like the quote because he says it the same darned way every time in every video and I always find the way he says it funny for some reason.

I don't find the mechanics of the thing too quirky either. Been pretty much point-n-shoot there as well, lol.

I've been working on getting my '92 4dr Eddie Bauer Explorer back on the road. I haven't been able to stay on it full time with everything else going on. When I was about to reinstall the serpentine belt I noticed that it was rusted stuck to one of the pulleys. I noticed that all of the 3 smooth ones were quite rusted so I thought that I would hand sand them. That was taking too long so I removed them and got out the ww beltsander. It made the task a lot easier. I just wish that the multi grooves weren't going to be so much trouble. I have a new belt for it. The vehicle has been sitting several years with a bad trans. I'm going to do the best that I can with a wire brush on a drill. I will have to do that on the truck. My back is on the verge of going out. Here is a picture of one of the idlers on the sander. The top one that is mounted to the tensioner has left hand threads.
101_0398.JPG

Searching for Dash Cams. Had a fight with a entitled "bro" in a black hellcat this morning because he seems to think 2 feet is a proper following distance at 55mph (10 over limit), that the fast lane means you can tailgate people until they go the 105mph you want to go, and turn signals are optional. He almost became the meat in a Ford sandwhich this morning between me and an the F-150 in front of me. Wanted to send him a well-driven "Monroematic Missile" but I kept my cool.

I put one of these in my 94 a couple of months ago. So far I am loving it!! I put the rear camera on the trim inside the rear window. It has a 170 degree field of view, so by the time the back end of a passing car is leaving the camera view, I can already see the front of it beside me!!

That looks awesome, and fits right in with my other high-tech upgrade (Bluetooth AM/FM/USB hands-free stereo). How difficult was that to install?

That looks awesome, and fits right in with my other high-tech upgrade (Bluetooth AM/FM/USB hands-free stereo). How difficult was that to install?
It was a breeze to install. Ran the rear camera wire along the interior trim panels to the mirror, and ran the power and gps antenna wires down the a-pillar and under the dash. It just straps onto your existing rear view mirror. Its been working great for me so far, and I really like the front AND rear cameras recording all the time!👍😁👍

It was a breeze to install. Ran the rear camera wire along the interior trim panels to the mirror, and ran the power and gps antenna wires down the a-pillar and under the dash. It just straps onto your existing rear view mirror. Its been working great for me so far, and I really like the front AND rear cameras recording all the time!👍😁👍
Cool, I think this is the one then, at least for the X. Should fit in with my interior renovation/restoration work.

Got it back from the shop on Tuesday, got neoprene bushings put in and did not even ask, the handling on the X was never this good, plus I hear they last a little longer. Did not check to see if the rivets were removed, probably not, the arms are clean. Got the steering box replaced while I was at it since there was slop at the box end not noticeable at the wheel.

At this point it's just a tune-up and I'm good for another 100K+.

Replaced my back windshield do to a trailer tongue not properly latched or even sized. While getting the glass at a junkyard seen like ten 1st gen explorers. One Explorer had a propane type set up. Also one had a bench seat. I took some pictures for you guys.

IMG_20220505_092923435_HDR.jpg IMG_20220505_092918992_MP.jpg IMG_20220505_092333034.jpg IMG_20220505_092322512_HDR.jpg IMG_20220505_092319047_HDR.jpg

Really cool

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back