What do you think about 2001 - 2002 Explorer Sport SUV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think about 2001 - 2002 Explorer Sport SUV?

DREMEE

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, AZ
Please help. I need to know about the Ford Explorer Sport 2001 - 2002 which have V6 4.0L. Is it a reliable SUV? How is its transmission and engine? Do you recommend it for a snow?

I'm a student so I need a car to serve me not to take all my money lol!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very reliable as long as they have been decently maintained. If you're a student on a budget, be aware that they use a bunch of gas though.

Are you referring to a 2-door Explorer Sport or the pickup version the Sport Trac?

I'm really confused between the 3rd generation 4 doors and Explorer Sport 2 doors 2nd generation "SUV not the trac not the pickup"! What do you think?

let me do it right, I'm confused between this model:

FEC95599_18.jpg

and this model:
5T45X55R23kc3m63ofbb2437247c3654e1511.jpg

Asks about an '01-'02 Sport. Posts pictures of said vehicle. Also posts picture of a 4-door Gen 3. Posts it in the Sport Trac forum.

I think they're all great vehicles. Maintenance will cost the same as any other vehicle of a similar age if it's been properly maintained by the former owners. The transmission may be a weak point, but there aren't many vehicles with transmissions that wow anybody. Especially in this price range and common duty vehicles. The 4.0 engine is adequate and pretty reliable. Timing chain rattles are somewhat common.

let me do it right, I'm confused between this model:

FEC95599_18.jpg

and this model:
5T45X55R23kc3m63ofbb2437247c3654e1511.jpg

In 2002 Ford came out with a new bodystyle and chassis for the 4-door Explorer. The 2-door Sport continued with the older body and chassis for a few years, as did the pickup version, the Sport Trac. This is the Sport Trac forum. I will move your thread to the regular Explorer forum.

Explorer Sport Trac:

DCP_0052.JPG

Do you recommend it for a snow?

I forgot to address this earlier. Any 4x4 vehicle goes very well in snow, the big variable is your tires. Some tires are just plain lousy in snow, like the ones that came on my '08 Sport Trac new, but people blame the vehicle instead. Dedicated snow tires are best but you don't want to use them all year, all-terrains are a close second. In my personal experience, BFG, Bridgestone, and Firestone all-terrains all do very well in snow. One with a limited-slip rear axle will go better in snow as long as you know how to drive it right and keep the rear end in line, in all but the deepest white stuff a 4x4 with open differentials will go just fine.

I have a 2001 4dr Explorer, 2wd, auto trans, 4.0L SOHC V6. I'ver owned the truck for about 4 months and have the following to say about it:

1. I Really like it
2. Timing chains are a big problem with this engine and are very expensive to replace, even if you do it yourself.
3. I've read that the auto transmissions are not that reliable
4. The ride is firm but okay with the right shocks
5. Fuel milage is not good and about the same for V6 and V8 17-18 avr is considered good.
6. Minor problems are common: Intake seals, IAC valve, rusted in spark plugs in northern states, door handles and locks, rear wiper problems, vacuum leaks.

Still, I got a good deal and I'm happy with the truck.

Back