What do you use for data logging?

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Attention nerds...

What do you guys use for data logging AND do you upload your data to a web server?

I am using an OBDLink MX+ with Torque Pro to data log all trips. I recently discovered a way to upload that data from Torque to my own web server. I think torque website used to have a web viewer but it no longer works. I plan to create my own dashboard website which i can share with people if anyones interested. I could easily make it so people could sign up and generate their own link for using in Torque App so your data is mapped to your link. Im also curious what other data logger apps support uploading to web services.

I should mention that this is not Explorer specific. Any car with OBD2 is supported

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attention nerds...

What do you guys use for data logging AND do you upload your data to a web server?

I am using an OBDLink MX+ with Torque Pro to data log all trips. I recently discovered a way to upload that data from Torque to my own web server. I think torque website used to have a web viewer but it no longer works. I plan to create my own dashboard website which i can share with people if anyones interested. I could easily make it so people could sign up and generate their own link for using in Torque App so your data is mapped to your link. Im also curious what other data logger apps support uploading to web services.

I should mention that this is not Explorer specific. Any car with OBD2 is supported
Interested and following...

SCT or HPTuner is better. Torque Pro isn't bad and I used to do that to until I discovered the speed rate of data collection isn't accurate. Its not too bad for very general info, but keep in mind, bandwidth of the OBD2 link is very small and the more parameters you try to log, the more resolution you lose. I can only do about 35 to 40 parameters (and that depends further still on whether you're logging OBD, PID or DMI parameters).

I stopped using Torque Pro for datalogging because it wasn't matching what I was getting from my SCT, which I trust more. I love Torque Pro as a guage suite though...

I use HP Tuners just because that is what I used to tune my other vehicles. I like it. No complaints here. (Although it is not near as popular on the Ecoboost platform as SCT is.

I use HP Tuners just because that is what I used to tune my other vehicles. I like it. No complaints here. (Although it is not near as popular on the Ecoboost platform as SCT is.

Are you able to upload data to a web server using the HP tuner? I have an interface spun up and it would be awesome to support multiple app datasets

HP Tuners is laptop based and saves the file. But out of respect of my tuner (and his intellectual rights) I wouldn't want to upload the information.

That's cool. There is nothing proprietary about collecting and storing PIDs which is all this does. My tuner also logs PIDs to a file onto my smart phone but it also allows me to push that same data to a web server in real time. The web server knows nothing about my car or my tuner. In my case I am using torque pro so some of the profile data is sent but that's it.

I see what your saying, but what would be the purpose of having it uploaded to a server? There is no valuable information gained from seeing a bunch of data without the context to support it. You'd need to have mods listed as well as which type of device was used. And even then, you couldn't accurately compare data (to what end I can't understand) as each device sees slightly different values at different baud rates and resolutions...

Too many variables and would require you to have people provide too much info they may feel is private to make this of any significant value. There's no point in collecting data just for the sake of collecting data. Datalog your stuff to some local device that your tuning shop prefers and just keep it between you guys.

I have the user interface built and its ready to compile and graph data. I think you guys are vastly confused. This interface is no different than Torque Web View which is now deprecated. Yes, you would create an account and more than likely require an email address (Just like Torque does). Your email is tied to a unique ID which is sent when data is being uploaded (that's how torque works).

The best part is I got the answers I was looking for and thanks for the "privacy concern" feedback I can see I will need to better describe how this application actually works. It really just piggy backs off whatever you already use and setup for logging.

You ask why do I need that? You don't. It's simply compiles and compares historical and real time data. It just gives you an easier way to visualize and see long term trends like comparing MPG between trips etc. Think of this like Torque Dashboard but on steroids and using newer visualization APIs. Its not for everyone...

Ill share some mockups later on. I have the Google static maps working

But I think you're missing my point....you are trying to compare apples to oranges if your intent is to collect data from various datalogging platforms and compare them to each other. They just read things very differently between each other. I've tried to do this in the past...running simultaneous datalogging with Torque Pro and SCT. The resolutions were vastly different and the lag between each was very different. They didn't line up or overlay the same.

And then...to what end is all this data for? You can get pretty much get all that info within each different datalogging application simply by creating custom PIDs or calculations, which is easily accomplished in both SCT and Torque Pro. For example, in both apps, I've created custom PIDs logging Ambient Air Density and Boost Air Density to give me Manifold Air Density (as close as I can without an actual relative humidity sensor...I'm using a Standard value).

Expalantion of these values and their importance here: Gale Banks: Get MAD About Boost

As for privacy, I'm not even referring to the kind of stuff required to open/create accounts. Im talking about modification lists, build sheets, etc. And in order to even think about realistically comparing these to other members datalogs, you'd need that info.

It's cool that you did all this and I'm not trying to be a hater, but I kinda think it's really just for nothing and will end up dying on the vine.

And there is a legitimate concern from tuning shops. Though the information is not "proprietary", tuning is a bit of an art as much as a science. Some tuners may not want the results of their "secret sauce" out there like that. It could destroy a relationship between you and your tuner. I know I'll never provide my datalogs to anyone other than Brad at AJP out of respect for him, nor do I want to mess up the relationship I've built with him.

Just my 2 cents...

This verbatim. I appreciate the ingenuity behind what you are wanting to do but I don't see the value in it. I would have no interest in looking at other people's datalog unless I was requested to provide advice to troubleshoot an issue. (Which I am not well educated enough on tuning these platforms so I can't). I don't see the real value in collecting the data to looking at other people's datalogs.

This is not a facebook treasure trove of data. Again I feel like theres a big gap between what I am actually building and the perception. I understand the market is "niche" but that's ok...

Here is the torque web viewer for those who are unaware of this tool and it's purpose

Again really the point of this thread was to gain knowledge about the tools you guys use and what functions they support. It sounds like most do support web uploading which means I would just need to create a template map for each device software to normalize the data. I already have a map built for Torque.

There are actually quite a few other apps that are similar to what I am building but lack the user friendly interface. Just google "npm bluetooth obd2". NPM is a node package manager for JavaScript web applications.

I appreciate the feedback

This is not a facebook treasure trove of data. Again I feel like theres a big gap between what I am actually building and the perception. I understand the market is "niche" but that's ok...

Here is the torque web viewer for those who are unaware of this tool and it's purpose

Again really the point of this thread was to gain knowledge about the tools you guys use and what functions they support. It sounds like most do support web uploading which means I would just need to create a template map for each device software to normalize the data. I already have a map built for Torque.

There are actually quite a few other apps that are similar to what I am building but lack the user friendly interface. Just google "npm bluetooth obd2". NPM is a node package manager for JavaScript web applications.

I appreciate the feedback
Ok, I feel like you are completely missing the point I am trying to make to you. This has nothing to do with merits of the technology...it sounds like you have that down.

This has everything to do with you trying to compare datalogs between logging platforms. Two points you need to understand:

1) IT.CANT.BE.DONE.

Not with any real sense of accuracy...there is too much difference between the way each platform logs for you to be able to accurately tell anything of value. It's like me going to a dyno and getting my HP/TQ readings, then immediately driving to another dyno down the street and expecting 100% identical values. It won't happen, and, frankly, they likely won't even be close.

2) RESPECT.THE.TUNER

This has nothing to do with privacy, or "big brother". It has everything to do with having respect for the mad scientist that wrote your tune. I'm sure, after asking them, it would be fine, or if you were one who practiced the dark art of self-tuning, it would also be fine. But most tuners will likely kindly ask you keep their "secret sauce" private. That's respect....

Here ya go

A better example of exactly what my dashboard basically does. This is obviously not free and costs money (the software is free). They also use their own ELM adapter. Its perfect for long term testing not dyno tuning...

It can be done pretty easy. Thanks for the input. Again though, no data is being shared with other people so I see your points but they just don't apply here.

Here ya go

A better example of exactly what my dashboard basically does. This is obviously not free and costs money (the software is free). They also use their own ELM adapter. Its perfect for long term testing not dyno tuning...

It can be done pretty easy. Thanks for the input. Again though, no data is being shared with other people so I see your points but they just don't apply here.
Sigh...man, for somebody smart enough to make what you've made, you're pretty slow. Just don't get what I'm telling you...all my points apply here.

1) You can't compare because logging platforms log differently from each other. What don't you understand about that? You're creating a pointless product that will have NO valuable data. You simply can't compare a log from Torque Pro to a log from SCT...they aren't congruent. Its a pretty simple and valid point to understand, not sure why it's not sinking in.

2) And the simple fact you are wanting a log to be loaded up somewhere is enough to violate the respect I have for my tuner's desire to not share how he's arrived at his sauce. I would hope you'd have the same respect. If they knew what you have in mind for the results of their tunes (which is what a datalog is), they likely wouldn't want to tune your lawn mower and I really hope no tuner works with you. You seem to be playing fast and loose with that relationship. I don't think you are understanding the concept of respect.

But go ahead, make your pointless product. You're not getting my logs, I respect my tuner too much for that. And if anyone else listening in on this post and understanding the gravity of what's being asked here, you'd be smart to do the same.

Oh, btw, good luck getting anywhere near that level of resolution using any sort of ELM adapter...

Haha oh man... If you looked at the dashboard it is not comparing data from other tuners. I cant stress enough that nobody could ever reverse engineer a tune with raw PID data that only you can see... If so then Torque App would be a thorn in the community...

I'm curious if any of the non mad tuners out there use similar software? Anybody work for a fleet service or delivery vehicles where they want to monitor vehicle service analytics?

Just to show I am not selling holy water here...Peter Popoff would be a believer

Here some real rough concept mockups

Here some raw uncompiled data

The torque dashboard is really cool but the web viewer is deprecated and the developer no longer supports the project. The community is alive however and many are looking for modern UI dashboards that they can customize using the PIDs they select etc.. The torque app is great but its not getting any better.

This app is taking off... barely. User registration / verification is working. I got upload working and dashboard is up. Google Map geo polylines working. Working on profiles, PIDs per vehicle, etc.. even got the developer to make a change for me regarding vehicle profile upload information (shout out Ian Hawkins). He has been making significant updates to support the newer android API's. The google map visuals are already much improved.

Anyway I am at the point now where I need to make user-friendly pages to get people setup. Here is a quick mockup of what that may look like:

Back