what gear ratio do you have | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what gear ratio do you have

what gear ratio do you run

• 3.07 3.27 or 3.55 (think these were available in explorers)

Votes: 71 19.9%

Votes: 143 40.2%

Votes: 67 18.8%

Votes: 36 10.1%

Votes: 19 5.3%

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
We need another poll in here :D so I thought this might be a good one. so what gear ratio do you have. If you dont know there is a tag on the drivers door that has a code that can be looked up to see what it is or there will be a tag on the axle with a bunch of numbers on it one of them will look like this:

3 73 = 3.73 gears open diff
or
3L73 = 3.73 limited slip

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ask a Mod nicely and they can add another poll as to seperate 4.56 and 4.88s. I'd be interested in the numbers between the two.

3.94 :D

3.27's LS

Originally posted by NOTAJP
Ask a Mod nicely and they can add another poll as to seperate 4.56 and 4.88s. I'd be interested in the numbers between the two.

I already have a request in the sugestion forum for more chices but so far no luck. I only wanted a 135 choices for the next govoner of cali. :) Maybe you can help persuade them ;) The reason why I clumped those two together is beacuse the only people that will be running the 4.88 gears atleast with a 4x4 will have to have a dana 44 or 60 up front. No 4.88 are available for the dana 35 and I figured they were the closest together.

4.10 open

I have 4.10 in the explorer and 4.88 in the ranger but the explorer is getting the 4.88 this winter :)

Added the extra poll for ya.:)

Oh and 4.56.

Originally posted by RockRanger
. . . the only people that will be running the 4.88 gears atleast with a 4x4 will have to have a dana 44 or 60 up front. No 4.88 are available for the dana 35 and I figured they were the closest together.
Thats not true. The 2nd gen front is a regular rotation D35, so 4.88's are an option.

4.10 here<<<<< Well, not yet but within the next month or 2. As well as being fully locked :D

Thanks Derrick.

DAMN! The IFS Guys have a regular rotation D35 PIG? Are you sure? So 4.88 would be an option for 4wd dudes 95 and up........

I have 4.10's with 33's, ARB up front, L/S rear.
Works well, especially since mytruck is still daily and sees lots and lots of long trips on the highway......

4.56 would have been do'able and probably would have helped my OD alittle (OD is still useless up until 75 MPH or so)

my sig says it all.

Originally posted by Jefe
Thats not true. The 2nd gen front is a regular rotation D35, so 4.88's are an option.

well the second gens arent real offroad rigs so it doesnt matter :D :eek: :D ill have to remember that for next time.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
DAMN! The IFS Guys have a regular rotation D35 PIG? Are you sure? So 4.88 would be an option for 4wd dudes 95 and up........
Yup, I've had 4.88's for almost 18 months now. Of course I haven't had a front diff for last 8 of those months :p

Originally posted by RockRanger
well the second gens arent real offroad rigs so it doesnt matter :D :eek: :D ill have to remember that for next time.
:rolleyes:

4.56's They let me get the wheel speed up when I want, and with the auto it will still crawl decent. I wish they were 5.13's or even lower though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 4.88's are in a solid axle sitting under my ranger and that axle will soon be under my explorer so I guess it is an option for 1st gens :)

Back