What is Omega?

pumpkinbrat

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
Hi everyone
When I bought my explorer, I noticed that I had some kind of computer chip with attennas coming out of the two ends of the box. it is mounted on my front windshield right behind the rearview mirror. It has the logo Omega on it. I am just wondering what this thing is? I dont know very much about cars, much less the stuff that goes with them. someone help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a range extending antenna for a remote start.

isnt pioneer old logo an omega?

pioneer-w.jpg

does it look like that? or maybe im wrong.... im just trying to help;)

It is for an Omega Remote starter. I have one in the 98 I just bought. You may be able to contact Omega and get a new key fob, so you can use it. The range isn't the best on it though.

some kind of computer chip with attennas coming out of the two ends of the box.

I have this also on my 98. Mine is for the alarm system. It is a sensor glass breakage. Mine has only one cable type wire coming out of it and it is all black in color. Does that sound like yours? Do you have a factory alarm on your X?

HotDogs

It doesnt look like that pioneer symbol. I'm guessing its an alarm because whenever i get into my explorer, the theft light is on. So, im assuming whoever owned it before me had an alarm on it. That would be cool though if it was the remote start. Save me a lot of trouble of going out in the cold and freezing my tushy off when i could just hit the remote from my house.
thanks again guys!

How exactly is the factory alarm suppose to work on a 00 XLS? I hit the lock button twice and the horn beeps once then open the door from the inside and nothing happens? is it mainly there just to prevent the engine from be started?

On my 98, if you "arm" the alarm, and a door is opened the horn will honk annoyingly, and the lights will flash. I don't know if the engine ignition is disabled.

Originally posted by 00XLS
How exactly is the factory alarm suppose to work on a 00 XLS? I hit the lock button twice and the horn beeps once then open the door from the inside and nothing happens? is it mainly there just to prevent the engine from be started?

According to the manual, you push the door lock button once to lock the doors, and a second time to verify the doors are locked by sounding the horn and flashing the lights.

So, im assuming whoever owned it before me had an alarm on it. That would be cool though if it was the remote start. Save me a lot of trouble of going out in the cold and freezing my tushy off when i could just hit the remote from my house.
Well than, I'd say you may be in luck. I went out, and unplugged the Omega box, and tried the factory keyless entry and it still worked. I then tried my aftermarket remote start and it didn't work until i plugged it back in.

Originally posted by George Explores
According to the manual, you push the door lock button once to lock the doors, and a second time to verify the doors are locked by sounding the horn and flashing the lights.
So do I have any protection from theft of something inside the vehicle along with the vehicle itself?

The Pioneer symbol is actually a tuning fork with the omega symbol.

FWIW

Originally posted by 00XLS
So do I have any protection from theft of something inside the vehicle along with the vehicle itself?

Short answer, no.

From the way I'm reading the manual, the only way to set off the "panic alarm," is to push the button on the fob.

Can someone verify this for me?

I used to have a 98 Taurus with a ignition disable feature which sounds like the 00XLS being discribed. It acted like the alarm on my Explorers but if it was locked and the door was opened from the inside, only the ingnition was disabled and nothing else happened. No lights and no horns. I had an aftermarket alarm installed to protect the stuff in the car.

On mine the actuator for the rear hatch went so I'd just leave the hatch unlocked and not thinking I opened it a couple of times before unlocking the other doors and that set off the horn and lights flashing. Had to press the panic button to turn it off.

Try this site, Hope it helps.

http://www.caralarm.com/start.html

My alarm is made by Omega, it has keyless entry, and an auto starter. i believe the system can be updated to add on more features. I currently have keyless entry and an auto starter, with a two way pager.

I can set of the panic function by holding any button down for more then three seconds.

This thread is going into differnt directions here. LOL.
If you want to know if you have a valid alarm on your X, then do the short test. Roll down your drivers window, activate the alarm, then reach into the vehicle and open the door. Short and sweet, it will go off if you have a fully funtional alarm.

If you have just the type that locks/unlocks the doors for you, "valet" style, then that is all it will do, lock and unlock your doors. My 98 also has the key code in it so that it has to be the specific key to start.

HotDogs

Originally posted by George Explores
Short answer, no.

From the way I'm reading the manual, the only way to set off the "panic alarm," is to push the button on the fob.

Can someone verify this for me?
I was afraid of this, I did do what BBQ said to do, well sorta. I locked myself inside the X using the remote then opened the door and nothing happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I locked myself inside the X using the remote then opened the door and nothing happen.

Then you just have the keyless entry system. All you need to do is go to Ford and get the added stuff to make it a full working alarm and you can even have Ford to add the remote start on it. It is already wired for the alarm, just modules need to be bought, I think.

HotDogs

Back