What is the idle suppose to be v8 warmed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the idle suppose to be v8 warmed up

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey guys good evening

Have a question when the explorer 4.6L V8 is warmed up

What is the idle suppose to be at in park and in drive?

I'm just trying to figure it out if my idle is ldling ok

In drive it's at 800rpm ruffly
Sometimes 850rpm

And in park it's at 900rpm and slowly drops a tiny bit

Engine is running fine but I find the idle in park to me seems high or I might be wrong?

PS no heat on or ac everything is shut off and this is how it idles

Let me know boys appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good to me...

So its fine then?

Ive watched several different youtube videos and im seeing peoples park idle @ 800rpm

Which such a small RPM difference, I don't think it matters. Though if you're woried, you could clean the TB and MAF.

Throttle body was just done couple weeks ago
The Maf still looks clean as well

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's all cool. :cool:

hrx8ba.jpg

My idle when its warm what do you guys think?

It looks right to me. I don't know how you are reading it but that says closer to 700-750.

Thanks bro I got this annoying whistle it makes when I accelerate past 2000RPM
I cant figure out what the heck it is ive had my buddy mechanic check everything out and he cant find any vaccum leaks we checked the intake gasket and everything along with the pcv valve and everything seems good.

It idles almost the same in drive just a lil lower but it doesnt stall or anything thank god thats all I need...

This use to be my Dads baby and since he passed ive been taking good care of it...Its got 200,000 KM on it now just want it to last me as long as it can...

I would look at removing the air silencer in the air box. They are know to make a whistle sound. Or your IAC could be whistling as well. If it is the IAC a good cleaning might take care of the problem.

Thanks bro I will definently have a look @ that I put in a brand new IAC motor last July my vehicle stalled on me while I was at a store it was so embrassing but she started back up when I turned it back on...

These vehicles are great I change the oil every 5000KM and always use PENNZOIL PLATNIUM oil with a Fram ExtraGuard filter.

I got IRIDIUM Platnium plugs installed on it back November 2011 so its been well maintened with a new FUEL FILTER as well.

It has a K&N Filter flat bed

Back