What major to get if you want to be an automotive technician? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What major to get if you want to be an automotive technician?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's actually many programs if your husband goes to a University. I am currently attending Weber State University for their collision repair program. Great program and they offer many more. Toyota T-Ten, Honda PACT, Ford MLR, ICAR Collison Repair, GM Repair (forgot the cool name for that...), and Independent Shop. The first two years in the Automotive Service Technology, and the next (if going for a four year degree) is Automotive Technology.

For a program like this, I hear there is only three Universities with this program. One being in Utah, one in Kansas, and one in Pensylvania. Now many colleges/universities offer a Automotive Technology 2-year degree all over the country. That'll be more than adequate for most mechanics (or soon to be). I would definitely recommend, to your husband, that he gets all the ASE Certifications to become a Master Tech. Being a Master Tech over just a mechanic is definitely worth it.

For most 2-year programs at a university typically run $2000ish a semester. Give or take depending on the school.

As well there are also technical colleges that offer a certification of completion in Automotive Technology. They are cheaper in the end, but a degree is well worth it if your husband wants to advance to more than a mechanic.

I went to Ogeechee Technical College in Statesboro, GA. I graduated with diplomas in Auto Fundamentals and Auto Technology. I received certifications (non-ASE) in Brakes, Steering Suspension, Auto Heating & Air, and Engine Performance.

Cost was 800 per semester.

I'm going to Northeast Community College in Norfolk, Nebraska. It's $91 a credit hour for Nebraska residents and I think $120 a credit hour for nonresidents. I'm going for auto and diesel tech and collision repair, which is a three year program. Regular automotive or diesel tech is a two year program

i think going to school would be waste if just starting out. i think the best bet would be get a job at a shop as a basic general service tech learn the basics and shadow the techs until you become more familiar if that is something you want to do before just going to school. if you enjoy it then goto the school to learn some of those extra things and help you get ase certified which alot of companys will pay for.

I go to wyotech for collision refinishing but they have a automotive program here as well as diesel
about 30k for their 9 month program

I never went to school to become an auto tech I grew
up working on cars and found a job at a local garage
after working there for a couple of years they paid for me
to get ASE certified

Back