What my Explorer to GROWL, want to help?!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What my Explorer to GROWL, want to help?!!

ilikedellcomputers

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jetta GLX VR6
Hey all, I have a Ford Explorer Limited and everything is mostly stock except for my drop in K&N Airfilter. What I want to do is add power and growl to my baby, can you guys help me?!

1) I am looking at this, it looks pretty good, and I think it will add a superiour boost over my present K&N Airfilter! True or False?

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newse...&parttypeid=3004&itemid=7932&autoidsearch=YES

2) I am also looking at these headers, if these are no good, please tell me, I want the best for my money, can anybody suggest some good headers?

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newse...2&parttypeid=3048&itemid=495&autoidsearch=YES

3) Look at this cat-back system made from Borla, looks pretty good, anybody have any thoughts or feelings regarding this product, does it add growl and performance to my car?

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newse...2&parttypeid=3042&itemid=494&autoidsearch=YES

4) I am also looking at a SuperChip, I have heard from some people that it will screw up my 4x4 Control Track system, cause I guess the 4x4 system depends on the computer! Anythoughts?

Well everybody who can/will potentially respond, I would really appreciate your feedback regarding these products, and any suggestions regarding what else I can do would be also really helpful!

Thanks for your time and effort regarding this matter!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The K&N kit will show improvement over the drop in filter. However, since you already have the drop in, just open up part of the airbox (probably by drilling, or cutting large holes) to let in more air.

Headers: if you look through some of my threads, you will see I've been thinking about them for a while. First of all, do not order them from Carparts.com. The link to them didn't work, but I'm assuming you saw the Borlas. Borla makes good headers, but they are special order now, so they may take awhile. Hedman has some, but they too are special order at this time and are backed up until 2001. JBA's are very good, but expensive. The same with BBK headers. You didn't mention what year you have or engine, depending on that, there may be a few others.

Cat-back: I went to my local muffler shop and they put on a Magnaflow muffler and a custom tailpipe-$200. Many on the site have Flowmasters, but they tend to be louder. If you have a good muffler shop in the area, I suggest talking to them. Often, a custom cat-back can be cheaper than getting one online, having it shipped, and installed.

You can see in my sig that I have basically every bolt-on except for headers. My truck purrs during normal driving and idle, and growls nicely when I punch it. The Magnaflow gave me good power, a good note, and not too much in-cabin resonance. The K&N and throttle body both made the engine louder, the throttle body producing a very nice purr.

I know this is long, but I'm done.
Good luck!

PS: I don't know about the computer and 4wd, but I love my Hypertech!

As for the K&N FIPK, I dont think that it will add superior boost at all. Dont get me wrong, your motor will breath better with a conical filter on. If you were to go with this option I would go with the KKM Intake. Its only $90 and is exactly the same thing as the K&N. Conical filters add a nice growl under the hood. If you dont want to do this, as Alec said, just drill some holes in the bottom of your airbox. As for the borla, it will definately give your truck a rumble.

JoeC5

Where did you get the KKM Intake from?

adam

JoeC5

One more quick thing...Is the KKM comparable to the K&N intake. Any benifits or downsides?
Thanks
adam

KKM

KKM makes this intake specifically for the Ford truck product line. It gives better throttle response and sounds awesome!!

It installs in about 30 mins and I highly recommend it over the K&N.

Here it is installed.
KKM intake

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 09-04-2000 at 06:17 PM]

Also, goto this site. This guy has everything you were interested in except for the headers. He has writen a little about each mod.

Dead Link Removed

I agree with 2001ExpSport. I have had my KKM Intake for about 2 years and I have had no problems with it. KKM is the way to go.

Hey, how do these Borla Cat-backs sound on a 6?

Yah, what I think I might do is look at a KKM Intake at my local Mopaq Automotive store, they seem to carry everything you can ever dream up!

Does the filter get wet or wetter if there is no box covering it, and let's say, I drive through a 2-3 foot deep puddle?

I don't want my truck dieing everytime a little rain falls!!

AHHH!! Nothing like a couple automotive questions to stir the spirit!!

=-)

Intakes

well i hope you don't have to drive through 2-3' deep puddles too often..that's pretty deep! Anyway..you are problably safe with the KKM. Let's say you keep the stock air box w/snorkel. Take a look at where the snorkel take in air...pretty low on the truck. With the KKM on you would be pulling in air much higher. Ever heard bout explorer's flooding out due to low intake point? Get the KKM! The K&N FIPK is WAY overpriced. The only intake I've ever seen worth more than the KKM is made by AIRAID, but they don't have 'em for any V6's, just V8's like f150's. And also I don't think you will find a KKM anywhere else but kkm's site. hope this helps!

I drove though a large rain puddle at 45 mph with no problems. The red color on the filter cone is oil which repels the water. Don'y worry about water, but if you are going through 2-3 foot water puddles you need to move to higher ground. ;)

Don't buy it at your local auto shop, buy it from KKM direct. I faxed in my order and got it two days later. Besides, you get two cool KKM stickers.

Hrmm KKM seems like the deal to get but I hear it wont pass CARB or something? Is it legal for use in California?? If so im all for it or else its K&N for me. I believe the k&N does have carb certification and a sticker to go under the hood. Anybody have any info?

thanks

Ok, your right, 2-3 feet of water is a lot, guess I better take out my ole` measuring stick next time I go through deep water... just kiddin! Anyway, tell me, will I notice a real big difference power wise when I switch to this KKM device, like really?! When I punch it around a corner, anything different about that, or just the same old, different look, and different sound? I know it seems I am like asking the same questions over and over, but this is really important to me.

On another note; looking at a Clifford Alarm system, it's a bit expensive, even compared to the top of the line Alpine system! Any thoughts on these two very similiar products!

Thanks

I noticed a definite increase in throttle response. You are not going to be NHRA Dragster ready, but you will notice a difference.

My baby will growl when I get everything I want on her, headers, cat back system etc!!

Can you feel it..... can you feel the power!!!

Hehehe!! =-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FlowMaster DeltaFlow 40 Series

I was looking at the FlowMaster DeltaFlow 40 Series muffler system, can anybody tell me if it's anygood? Does anybody have it on there Ford Explorers, any pics!

Thanks!

Back