What PSI does the ARB locker need to engage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What PSI does the ARB locker need to engage?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok I got the ARB installed in the front pig. But I need to run the air line and connect the switch. I don't know the psi for engaging the ARB and I don't have a wiring diagram for the switch. So the lockers in but I cant figure out how to connect the rest? Any one? Little help???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anywhere from 75psi to 100psi.

Going over 100psi will blow the seals.

Under 75psi, it will not engage.

I use a pressure regulator set to 90psi on mine; the rest of the system runs at 250psi.

tdavis said:
Anywhere from 75psi to 100psi.

Going over 100psi will blow the seals.

Under 75psi, it will not engage.

I use a pressure regulator set to 90psi on mine; the rest of the system runs at 250psi.

Thanks Tom. I will tee off my quickair2 and put a reg set to 90psi now I just need to figure out the wiring for the switch.

What kind of air supply is really needed for the ARB?

i have a 2.5 gallon tank and viair200H compressor. the tank goes up to 150psi so i know it can handle the 75-90 needed, but how much air consumption does it need? And does it have to be constant? (cause i use my tank for OBA.. so could i have the locker enganged, then crank up my psi to 150 to fill up my tires? oh im so confused :confused:

Any info is appreciated... doing research now; next summer when my cars paid off i get to go crazy with my 4x4 fun stuff :bounce:

oh yea, how much was yours for the rear?

sk1er17 said:
What kind of air supply is really needed for the ARB?

i have a 2.5 gallon tank and viair200H compressor. the tank goes up to 150psi so i know it can handle the 75-90 needed, but how much air consumption does it need? And does it have to be constant? (cause i use my tank for OBA.. so could i have the locker enganged, then crank up my psi to 150 to fill up my tires? oh im so confused :confused:

Any info is appreciated... doing research now; next summer when my cars paid off i get to go crazy with my 4x4 fun stuff :bounce:

oh yea, how much was yours for the rear?

Constant 90psi air is needed to engage and keep it engaged. If your air supply goes lower than 70 psi the locker disengages.

My theory was to tee off BEFORE my air tank. That way I can run the air to the locker without having to fill my air tank. Then for OBA just open the other side of the tee and fill the tires. That make sense???

For the rear? The ARB I installed is for the front. I have a Detroit in the rear. It was $388 on ebay with out the compressor.

sk1er17 said:
the tank goes up to 150psi so i know it can handle the 75-90 needed, but how much air consumption does it need? And does it have to be constant?
The pressure is just used to engage the locker, and hold it. There is no airflow (i.e., no consumption of air).

Do you really need your locker engaged while filling your tires? :D

I just tee'd off the air tank for the ARB air line. It doesn't use much - I can go almost all day with my fire extinguisher based air tank, and with no cycling of the compressor. The only time any air is "used" is when you release the locker, and you hear the "pssssssst" noise.

so in short, tee off before the tank, intall a gauge and when the gauge for the ARB line hits 90 kill the compressor and switch the flow to my tank for OBA... Then to unlock just let the air out of the line (probably put an in-line valve for that too) right?

How bad is that to install?

i have the LS rear..

sk1er17 said:
so in short, tee off before the tank, intall a gauge and when the gauge for the ARB line hits 90 kill the compressor and switch the flow to my tank for OBA... Then to unlock just let the air out of the line (probably put an in-line valve for that too) right?

How bad is that to install?

i have the LS rear..

Like Robb said. You won't need to air up until your done with the trail and then you wouldn't need the locker. I mean you don't need a full tank until your ready to air up or use tools. And you need a regulator set to 90psi max so you don't blow the seals on you ARB.

Back