What Tire Size with Mod's

gguerra

Reaction score
City, State
McAllen, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport Trac 4x4
What Tire Size without Mod's

I have a 2003 Sport Trac 4x4 and I am in need of new tires. I currently have 235/70-16. I would like to stick with the same height tires as I dont really want to do any lifts (too much hassle or expense) I would like a little bit wider tire. What would be the widest I could use without it rubbing? Could I use 255's? or 265?'s Also I would like to keep the stock rims (aluminum)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

255/70-16's would fit fine, it is the factory optional size.

255/70-16's would fit fine, it is the factory optional size.
Ya, mine came with 255's from the factory because I have the optional 4:10 gears. They still look too small. Pretty sure 265's fit as well but I think I read that 285's are hit or miss even on a 2" lift. I recently lifted mine so that I can put bigger tires on it. I fabricated my own shackles so I have a total of $10 in the lift but if you bought the warrior shackles I think you would still only have like $75 in it.

I run 275/70R16 (31.2" and about a 10" width) with rubbing only at full left turn up an incline (very rarely) and left rear at very high speed, relatively sharp left turns (think of a very low diameter exit ramp at 45 or 55--arguably unsafe speeds). For normal use, there is no rubbing. But, I have Rancho RSX's around, so they may keep the body roll to a minimum.

7.JPG

The 255/70/16 is 1" taller than the 235's, and that 30" tire is just about the perfect diameter for the speedometer. They are most accurate with about a 30" tire, thus you're truck reads a little fast right now.

You can improve the ability to run even bigger tires with a big rear anti-sway bar and stiffer shocks, like the Bilsteins. Good luck,

I think I've decided on the 265's. They are only 1/2" taller than the 255's..
255's = 30.05 diameter
265's = 30.60 diameter

You can calculate sizes here at this site
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Goodyear Tracker II are $90+tax at wallyworld. The only problem is that they wont mount anything other than what is says on the door sticker.
They also charge you about an extra $20 per tire for their replacement warranty, lifetime balancing, rotation, valves stems, etc.

So I think I'm going to buy them there and have someone else mount them..

I've been pricing at other places and everything is quite a bit more up to twice as much at the regular goodyear dealer

My question is will these mount on the stock rims?? anyone?

I think I've decided on the 265's. They are only 1/2" taller than the 255's..
255's = 30.05 diameter
265's = 30.60 diameter

You can calculate sizes here at this site
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

My question is will these mount on the stock rims?? anyone?
Be aware that there can be quite a variance in the actual measurements depending on the brand. All 265's are not going to be the same diameter.

This site is cool it will compare your current tire size with a different size
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Just wondering would the 265's fit the stock rims?? I'm assuming the 255's will fit since they are a factory option.

I am aware that each manufacturer may vary it's tire sizes slightly but this site should give you a general idea in the difference between different tire sizes.

I just dont want to go out and buy the 265's and find out they will not fit the stock rims..

I am aware that each manufacturer may vary it's tire sizes slightly but this site should give you a general idea in the difference between different tire sizes.

I just dont want to go out and buy the 265's and find out they will not fit the stock rims..

Ive seen 285's on the stock rims.

well a 265 tire can have a lot of variables. if you have a 16x8 wheel then you would want to go with a 265/70/16 or a 265/75/16

To calculate tire size you can also divide the width in mm (ie 265) by 25.4 which will give you inches.

for example 265 / 25.4 = 10.43" wide

then to find the height of the side wall multiply that number by the ratio which is the number between the width and the rim size so lets say we are dealing with 265/75 R 16. 75 is the percentage that the sidewall is high versus the width. So just simply multiply 265 (or 10.43" in this case) by 75%

10.43 * .75 = 7.825" high

then to find the height just add 2 sidewalls and the height of the rim So.
7.828 + 7.825 + 16 = 31.65" total height

there now you can figure it out when you don't have access to the website.

Those are fine calculations to the tire equation from manaen.

Although you may have gotten your tires by now... the 265's fill fit fine on your stock 16x7's. As mentioned earlier, you can go as wide as 285's with your current wheels. :cool:

Back