What to do/check at 100K

rjc

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
OK, I'll start

This is what I had to do to get my 92K used explorer in good driving condition.

Radiator
Tensioner
Drivebelt (I was there)
Thermostat (It was cheap and I was there)
Upper and Lower radiator hose and heater hoses
(can't figure out where the hell the valve is but it made changing easyer)
Tires
Radius Arm Bushings + Alignment
Front Wheel Bearings and Rotors and pads front and rear (now it breaks smooth with no wobble or pull and in a straight line).
Transmission flush and filter change.
New Plug Wires and spark plugs (bosch).
New Air filter

I'm now tracking down a rough but intermittent idle problem when warm and have cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor with break cleaner and let dry.

I will be checking the Air Bypass Valve (IAC) and want to ask you guys now what? I know the engine could run a bit smoother than it is right now. My milage isn't too bad but it's not great. About 18-19 highway and about 13-15 town driving with 235-75-15 Land Terrain (Goodrich) tires. Oh yeh, 2wd not 4. What else should I change/check/clean? EGR? PCV valve? O2 sensor? Thanks for the advice, this site is great! rc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel filter and O2 sensors are a couple of things to look at changing and are often overlooked as regular maintenence items. Its tough to get at but remember the strainer sock of the fuel pump as well.

So how do you know when the fuel filter is in need of changing? What are some symptoms to look for? Also, where is the strainer sock for the fuel pump? Isn't that in the tank? What improvement will I notice with the O2 sensor or do you just change these items for due to milage? Thanks, rc

The fuel filter is cheap so it is good insurance to change it once and a while. If it clogs up you can have major running problem that comes and goes. Yes the strainer is in the tank.

The O2's are important sensors that tell the computer how much oxygen is in the exhaust gases. They work by a chemical reaction producing electricity and they can work for quite some time without replacing but there are some common things that can cause them to work improperly such as silicon vapours, oil burning, too rich a mixture and tetraethyl lead. I would pull them out and inspect them for any contamination or foulling. An older engine that has blow-by can coat them with soot and cause a false lean code to the computer, the computer in turn enrichens the mixure even though the engine doesn't actually need more fuel. This process can happen without the computer tripping a fault code.

Fuel Pressure Regulator - They have a tendency to crap out after a while. And if they do, it will affect the O2 sensors because it'll dump too much gas and the engine will run rich.

Ill second the FPR....made a huge improvement on my meat wagon. ;)

Is the FPR hard to change? Expensive? Thanks, rc

I got mine for $35 on carparts.com with 33% discount...but I have heard others say it is $100. Check with fordpartsnetwork.com and some online stores to see if you can get a better price.

Not hard to change, just depressurize the system/remove/replace and you are done. Took me about 30min because the fuel line was stuck on it.

I looked at Carparts and they are $115, you did good! rc

Yeah, still don't know how the price went up that much. They were like $65 - $75 for the OEM.

Check around, I think you can at least get one for $80 to $90. Try www.fordpartsnetwork.com . Ask for Torrie.

i got my FPR from advanced autoparts for about $40. have had it at least 6 months now..no complaints

rjc, the sock for the fuel pump is in the tank with the pump. also NEVER clean the MAF sensor with brake or carb cleaner. those two items can be harmful and actually eat away at the two little wires. which will then lead to faulty readings. to clean them remove the cap and clean them with a q-tip or you can just wrap some tissue around end of a tooth pick. at 100k i'd change the plugs (go to motorcraft double platinum) plug wires, and check out the water pump.

Back