What to do with a 351W? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do with a 351W?

Ok - here's the dilemma...

I just got a 351W. It has 160k on it and a rear main leak. Block and heads appear fine. My choices are - mild re-build and drop in Tramp or wicked re-build and drop in the mustang - then drop the 5.0 in Tramp. Project will take months to do as all money is going to the SAS now. But - 1 would give me a hell of a 4x4 and the other would give me a hell of a 4x4 and a screamin street car too. Choice A would be done quicker (about a year quicker) than choice B - what do you think?

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do both.. have the 5.0 for the tramp and "wicked" one for the stang..

I vote 2. I think the 5.0 in the X would be easier and still one mean 4x4. And the 351 in the stang would be sweet!

I also vote #2. Easier swap into the X and 2 power upgrades!

Gawd this is a disease!

Ok - does anyone know if the stang computer will run a 351? I'll probably bore it over .030, but may stay away from a stroker because of the age of the block. Keep the thoughts coming guys!

J

It's probably better to find a new computer for the 351 or carb it and save the stang computer for the X.

It's fairly common to use the Mustang A9L computer to upgrade 351W vehicles with speed density for those that want mass air. A 351W can usually gain some decent HP and Torque while gaining fuel economy, but you will need to get the MAF sensor and change out other speed density sensors for mass-air sensors. Of course, if you want to fix the rev limiter and other tuning, you will want either a chip or an EPEC.

I don't mind switching to MAF for the 351 - in fact I was planning on it. So the existing computer will work, but I will need a chip to get rid of the rev limiter.

Another question (and there will be many more) - how much HP and TQ can I realistically expect from a fuel injected 351, no blower, cam from idle-6000 and good heads/intake? I'm guessing mid 300's, but not sure. What do you think?

J

Well, here are some thoughts to ponder.

A 2000 x w/V-8 makes 215 hp
a 2000 x w/V-6 makes 205 hp
I have seen so many variations of HP ratings for the stang I am guessing between 179 and 230.
A 78 351W 2 barrel only makes 200 hp.

I would venture to guess that you can build a 351 to create a bunch of HP, but the 302 has had more done with it, and is easier to find all the how to's you can imagine.

The 351 will give you more torque than any of the above. So, if you want the torque, I would put the 351 in your x and build the 302 in your stang.

Vonzipper,
Don't forget the LS1 puts out 355hp with 350ci. I know a few stangs are running 340-400hp with the right heads and intake. Also - the 351W and 302 use many of the same parts (intake, heads and so on). I have a book on the 302 and 351 at home, so I need to jump into it and get some more details. The main reason for doing the 351 in the stang is it is easier to fit the 302 in the explorer.

J

The 351 and 302 do not use the same intake or heads. By putting a set of 351 heads on a 302, you are making a Boss engine. The intake to a 302 is only about 6 or so inch's wide, a 351 is 10 or so. To put 351 heads on a 302 you have to drill out oil gallies and water ports, and seal up some of the same. You also have to use a 351 intake then.

I put a 351 in my exploder, first a 302, but in went the 351. It is wider and taller. To tell you the truth, the 302 looked small in there. the 351 fills the space.

If you stang is fuel injected, I would leave it in your car. You can get massive amount of HP from whats all ready in there. The larger the bore, the less RPM's it wants to turn.

One concern I have with the 351W in the Explorer is losing A/C - it get's real warm here in S FL - kinda need the A/C. Do you think it would fit with a/c?

BTW - the mustangers all think a 351W well built is a good swap - I just don't have enough info on it yet to make an educated decision.

J

You could probably make as many at 400 HP N/A with a 351W. My old roommate is running 11.69 or faster with his '67 Mustang with a 351W with an EPEC, 50 lb. injectors, a 90mm MAF, ported TFS-R heads, and a ported 351 Edelbrock EFI intake. Actually he could make 400 HP N/A if he either found an intake that would outflow the heads or make an intake that would outflow the heads. Considering that he's the only one at Comp Cams that uses the flow bench, he could be making and testing out a new intake that won't restrict air flow.

It would be very, very close if you kept the A/C. One thing to do though is mount it lower in the frame. Mine is up pretty high. I wanted to be able to work on the steering or whatever without pulling anything.

two words

EARLY BRONCO!

VonZipper,
The more I think about his, the more I lean to dropping it into the Ex - but retaining A/C is a must. I'll take measurements many times before deciding. Also need to weight the cost of converting both or building up both - GAWD I LOVE THIS CRAP!

Dirtyneck - The front of my Ex is going through an EB transition - is that close enough :D

J

I guess that will have to do :D good luck

You could make good power bands with either motor. An uncle of mine built a carbureated 351W with about 390 horses and 450 ft lbs, and that was on the dyno at the wheels. But I have also seen wildly built 302s with incredible numbers. If it were me I would save the 351 for the stang, you could blow the pants off the local rice scene, and still have a mild 302 in the x which would allow the a/c. You could build it to put out whatever amount of power you wanted. possibilities with 5.0s are endless.

although id rather blow the pants off the local rice scene in the ex with a 351 :D ill be the stang already does with its stock 302. yeah, you didnt say it was stock, but weather or not it is youre still cookin some rice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stang is bone stock (for now)

I don't think I have enough projects to work on - maybe I should start a roll cage too! :)

J

Back