What winch to buy and what kinda rope? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What winch to buy and what kinda rope?

mechanix

Got beer?!?!?!
Reaction score
City, State
Springport, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt & 93 xlt
Looking into a new winch. I have been stuck a few times and I think if I had winch I could have gotten myself unstuck. The last time I was stuck I was doing the R-D shifting and busted my output shaft in the trans. So I think a whinch is a wise investment.

So the real question is. I have seen alot of the new style synthetic rope for winches. I am looking into this style was wondering if anyone else has used this? I know all of the winches I have seen have cable , but this new stuff looks prett cool. Any input would be very helpful. I have searched for a winch and looks like a Warn 9k+ is my best bet to buy.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jefe uses syn. rope. It costs more but I heard it's better than cable. Subscribing. :)

Most of the guys I wheel with use synthetic. It is just as strong, easier to deal with (lighter, no memory) and more safe. There is really not that much difference in price except that the steel is included in the price of a winch. Plus, it looks cool. :cool:

Got any pictures of the broken output shaft? That took some work to break it.

As for your question I had a warn 8274 on my old truck. It pulled like mad and was fast but they are a major PIA to mount and make look nice. My girlfrind runs a warn 9000 on her cj7 and works really well. We have done some long continuous pulls with it and it has held up great.

The thing I like most about syntetic rope is that you dont have to worry as much about how you wind it on the drum while winching to keep it from kinking. with syntetic you have to be careful about it rubbing on a rock or something sharp as it will frey the line and then the line will brake. Bkennedy on this site has syntetic on his winch as well.

I kept the shaft to use as a big punch. I will snap a pic of it and post it.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope this post helps others too in deciding what winch rope combo to buy.

"Use" versus "Cool Factor"

Get the Warn if you really need it (or want to spend that much money), but realize that there are plenty of other capable winches on the market that will accommodate your needs.

Last time I checked, you really want a winch that can pull 1&1/2 times the weight of your vehicle; even if you've built your rig to 5,000 lbs, an 8,000 lb winch will do the trick. Mechanical advantage with the proper 8,000 lb. winch accessories mean you can easily get by, but half the fun of spending the money is the fact that you've "overpurchased" for any realistic need for the size winch you buy. . .

As for the synthetic rope, its a great replacement for the stock cable; but if you really need to buy it to fit on your new winch, give me a quote on your brand new "old school" cable. . . Personally, I'll upgrade to the synthetic line when I need to to, but cable has been on winches for the last 50+ years, and other than damping a potential break in the line, it's almost foolproof (and much less susceptible to fraying from rock rub). . .

Just my $.02

Paul
'91 Sport
Ramsey REP 8000

I was reading my new 4wheel and Offroad and in the back there is a new brand of winch. I did some looking around the web and they seem ok. The biggest bonus is the cost. At $325 for a 8k winch that is cheap. BUt it does use the cable and only has a 1.8hp motor. Here is the link to the winch Black Mountain Winch They do make a 10k winch too. I will look around for the price of that one and maybe the specs. The specs for the 8k are on another site of one of there dealers.

For me I think this would be a good investement. I know it is slow compaired to the Warn, but I wont use it alot. So spending $800-$1k on a winch seems silly unless I can get a great deal. Tell me what you think. All input is appreciated good or bad.

Mine should be here today or tomorrow :thumbsup:

I'm gonna need it this weekend to pull Dreamr's a*s thru the snow. :D

im liking that winch you got albino.

subscribing

Albino 94LTD said:
Mine should be here today or tomorrow :thumbsup:

I'm gonna need it this weekend to pull Dreamr's a*s thru the snow. :D

More likely drag your own sorry a** through the snow while I push the magic button and drive through :D

Though after my last weekend hiking trip I am betting that we don't see much of any snow ;)

You still haven't answered my Q in the fishing thread what's our plan?
PM me.

Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll have 5 good tires again. That
33 x 9.5 spare sure looks little compared to the others even though they are only an inch wider :confused:

Wireless or Dash Mounted?

I think the wireless option is pretty cool, but I prefer the hard-wired solution. . . I just ordered this today. . .

http://www.roadlessgear.com/page/RGL/PROD/R/RG631

They make the cable any length at no additional cost - - roughed in at about 10.5' of cable for my Explorer, still just $29.95. Ground shipping was a bit steep at $7.50, but if you are closer to Montana than I am in Florida I would assume it would be cheaper. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

I run an M8000 on my X and use it probly 3-10 times per outing. Sometimes more. Up here anyways, it's hard to find service parts for other winches, and some of the cheap cheap ones aren't even servicable except for major componate assemblies.(I.E. motor assy, gear end assy, drum assy) one example is is the Tabor winches. Also they only have 1year warranty! At least my M8 has a lifetime one.

The only thing I constantly have a problem with is my cable. I have gone through two wire ropes this summer. Mainly due to getting in a hurry and not respooling every time or overdriving the cable while winching and getting it slack. It birdnests and gets kinks.

My next calble will be Amsteel blue. One real nice part is you can pull the line out and throw it to somebody across a hole or river for example. Try that with wire rope :thumbdwn:

Try checking out the Milemarker Winches. www.4wheelparts.com has them along with the WARNs. I myself am going to get one just dont know if i want the 9 or 12k model

New guy here
Let me know if you want a Ramsey Winch. Work uses Ramsey Gearboxes on conveyors and stuff, I can get winches real darn cheap. Usually about %30 off list.

i have a milemarker e9000 and it's great so far. have only used it a few times, but it has a lot of power, and uses the same cable as the 12,000lb winch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back