What would cause this delayed start? *video* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would cause this delayed start? *video*

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
I've had this problem since I've had this truck. It takes an extra second to fire. Sometimes it stumbles a bit too. However, it has never NOT fired. I was thinking it was the camshaft position sensor/syncronizer at first, but now I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? (sound is kind of low on the vid)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try higher octane grade fuel 91-93, and add some injector cleaner solution

i had a same issue with my PT Cruiser

The injectors have been cleaned already...im not sure what higher octane gas would do for starting

Try priming the fuel pump first by turning the key to run for a couple seconds then turn it all the way to start it and see if it still takes that extra time to start. If it starts right away then you may have a minor fuel pressure problem or may just need to change the fuel filter.

The fuel filter is new but I'll try your other suggestion.

Bump

my truck is doing the same thing but much worse at times. 5L

Older fuel pumps do this as they age. Check the fuel pressure first thing in AM , just with key on.

ok I’ll give that a go, do you know what pressure I want to see?

It does have a newer fuel pump and filter (3 years old)

60 psi on 99 up
35 psi 98 down
ok I’ll give that a go, do you know what pressure I want to see?

It does have a newer fuel pump and filter (3 years old)

The pressure line loses fuel pressure over night because of a possible pinhole leak between the outlet pipe in the tank and the pressure regulator, or between the regulator and the pump output nipple (both hose segments are in the tank, so the 'leak' is undetectable from outside. If you pressurize the line by turning on the key (not starting), thereby letting the 3 second pressurization cycle occur (maybe that will be enough to get it up to 65 psi, maybe not, so try the on/off cycle 3 times or so listening for the pump to cycle through each time). If this cures the problem, with no hesitation starting, then you found your problem. It should be addressed because that means that one of the mini hoses or the regulator housing may be about to burst, and you will be left stranded.

I've had this problem it was the fuel pump anti drain back valve / check valve easy fix replace the pump itself

Back