what's best for fuel economy?: intake or k&n w/"tornado" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what's best for fuel economy?: intake or k&n w/"tornado"

exploring420

Reaction score
City, State
winnipeg,Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 FORD EXPLORER XL
Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to the explorer scene as well, I just picked up a 93 xl and tuned it up (plugs,wires,fuelfilter,k&n drop-in,etc.)and I am looking for the most efficient intake combo. I don't know what regular fuel economy is like on explorers as I am still on my first tank but when I bought it it was DEAD EMPTY and took 70 litres of fuel. I will probably get around 450-480 km's on this tank (sorry don't know what that works out to in miles per gallon) and I am wondering what would work better for fuel efficiency, my K&N drop in filter and one of those "fuel saving tornados" or just a regular intake/conical filter. Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated!

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put in a K&N or KKM filter, exhaust, chip, etc. Stay away from the Tornado and other gimics.

thanks for the input, I will pick up an intake in the spring, I "swiss cheesed" the airbox and added a k&n drop-in for now, the winters here are unheard of (-40 -45) so I'll alternate between the 2 in summer/winter. Question about exhaust though, can this actually help improve mileage? My previous vehicles were performance so I never cared about the type of mileage I got, what's reccomeded size? Also I live In Canada and I don't have emmisions regulations here, would anybody reccomend removing the cat? would it be too loud? I would probably add at 1 or 2 resonators to quiet up the exhaust, magnaflow muffler, etc.

Fuel economy is more than a collections of parts and modifications, its a state of mind.

Take a look at the "My quest for 30" link in my signature.

Good luck .....

I actually went through that thread earlier, very informative. I have also driven the vehicle very conservatively.

Thanks for all the help people!!

exploring420 said:
Question about exhaust though, can this actually help improve mileage?

Also I live In Canada and I don't have emmisions regulations here, would anybody reccomend removing the cat?

Yes, it van improve performance as well as economy.

You still have to breath the air; don't remove cars. It doesn't help economy or performance.

Good luck .......

I guess I'll be looking at an exhaust system this spring to go with that intake...

Back