What's the average miles per tank? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the average miles per tank?

Broken Gas Gage

I drive a 93 Ford Explorer which I bought a couple of months ago and love this vechicle a lot. When I bought my vechicle the gas gage was real funky, what I mean by funky is that when I filled up the tank it would indicate it was only half full when in reality it was full. One of my buddies who's a mechanic explained to me that the gas gage problem is a very expensive fix and reccomeded that I change my gas filter to see if that fixed the gas gage from acting funny. My buddie explained to me that one of the main things people forget to do is to change out their fuel filters because eventually they get clogged, "gas is real dirty". The next day I went to Kragen and bought a new fuel filter and plopped that baby in and the problem was fixed gas gage works fine. I guess I got lucky on this one. If you change out the fuel filter yourself you'll need the special tool to seperate the fuel lines from the fuel filter. I dont rember what the tool is called but its 5 dollars its cheap.. You'll need this tool to take out your old fuel filter! Without it you won't be able to ..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

400 to 410-- but I have a larger tank :)

I don't understand how replacing the fuel filter can have any effect on the fuel gauge. The sending unit is in the tank and the gauge in the cluster. filter is in the fuel line way up stream and has no electrical connections.

That's a pretty good thread revival- 6 years... :D

Ditto on the thread revival but interesting to compare to what i get. I've only had my '91 for 2 weeks now and will be filling up sometime this week. I'm at 150 miles with 1/4 tank left right now. Then again I'm on 35's with 4.56 gears. Auto trans and about 95% baby footing it around. Only time I get on it is in traffic if I need to merge or do something to get over or what not. For the most part, I'm the jerk that everyone hates for accelerating too slow! LOL Then again, it's a fricken expo on 35's I'm not going to pretend it's fast!

fill up from "E" isn't 21 Gal? >>> it wasn't really empty yet

Every Ford I've owned has had significant gas remaining in the tank when the fuel gauge was on Empty. My 95 F150 would have 6 gallons left, and that was with the needle all the way on (covering) the line at E, on a brand new truck.

I have gone over 350 on the highway, mostly driving 55-65mph, I have clocked my mpgs at 22 on occasion, mostly a pretty standard 21.

City driving I pushed it to 289 on the trip and still only put in 16.7 gal, needle was buried in the red of "E".

A full tank will yield 350 miles with summer hi-way miles driving 60mph on rolling hills and usually slightly windy conditions. I have almost made 400 at 55mph from a full tank and had fumes left before filling up at 18.9 gals earlier this summer, that has been my best ever. But I tend to run at 60-65 to keeps the revs at 2K rpm for climbing the many hills I live in without really lugging the engine. Summer city mileage is much worse compared to summer hi-way, usually equal to my winter hi-way mileage.

For mileage in the winter, hi-way miles I usually hit 250-275 driving a little slower at 55mph. Winter city mileage is 200-250 depending on how cold and what the roads are like and how much I drive once warmed up. I can say that idle time to warm up really eats mileage for me. Luckily, in the winter I can short shift a lot, due to slick roads and this helps to keep the revs down.

My gauge seems pretty accurate, though, lucky me!

I get about 60-80 on a quarter tank on a good day, so that's about 240-360 per tank. On a bad day, which is just about every day, I get about 30-40 on a quarter tank, so that's about 120-160 per tank. But I also have a bad head gasket, bad o2 sensor, and holes up the yinyang in my exhaust so it explains it all :)

You guys getting much over 250 miles per tank in town in a 1st gen in winter, I'd sure like to know what you have done to get that kind of mileage.

AGREED ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ill get around 180 or so per tank, but thats with 33's and 3.73's

SAME ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i fill up at a 1\4 and its at 200 miles. how do you guys get 300?

RIGHT?!?!?!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

400 to 410-- but I have a larger tank :)

^^^^Good God how much bigger?^^^

Ok 3.73 4" Lift 33''s headers, new fuel injectors, filter, always synthetic fluids, new fpr... tons of new crap... only getting 180-200 Per tank, City/High Way no play

I filled up at a 1/4 tank today with only 117 on the odometer. I have
31's 2 inch lift and 3.73's. I hope im not the only one gettinf this bad. This is mostly back ans forth to school in the city. I try to keep revs down too

I get 14.2 in my 96 2wd with 32x11.50x15s on back, 299 miles and gauge on bit can still make it to station as I'm sitting in deer blind, 3.27 gears mind you

I get 14.2 in my 96 2wd with 32x11.50x15s on back, 299 miles and gauge on bit can still make it to station as I'm sitting in deer blind, 3.27 gears mind you

even with those gears it's better than my milage. i have a 19.2 gallon tank and then i get 117 to 3/4's alot less than 10mpg
lucky :p

something else is wrong with ur rig[/QUOTE
i do have a valve cover leak and a dripping timing cover. Just did the water pump... im not sure what it could be if its not those. I do get great milage on the highway though. So i filled up wednesday then drove around town till today and went 52 on a quarter tank. And today i left for tahoe and at a half tank i had gone 154. Which isn't bad at all. Just around town is terribad.

I get about 200-250 on 3/4 tank since my gas gauge is kinda funky to and and if it touches the E the engine dies (found that out the hard way). I figured about 18-20 MPG city driving. It's a 94 auto 4x4 3.73 gears.

Wow, I was sniffing around on this thread bcuz I noticed my milage was dropping more than my normal winter average. He's a 95 Eddie, 5.0, 16" wheels with 126,000 miles and his city average tank (which is mostly surface streets, and some freeway) is around 360 miles. Depending on if I have my foot in it or not, that's an average of 18 mpg. The only thing I have done is a K&N air filter. Since gas prices have gone crazy I switched from premium (92 octain) to regular and picked up about a half a mpg doing so, who knew? I have always found that Exploders with a V8 get better milage than those with V6s in them. Their wieght and gearing causes the V6 to work to hard with your foot in it, and that's how we drive. Plus the V8 sounds so much better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a different 91 then I had when i posted in this thread 7 months ago. This new '91 I'm getting about 250-280 or so on a tank which is normally about 17mpg for me. I'm 2" lift on 31's with 3.73's. I'm curious what it's going to be very soon here when I'm running 4.56 gears with 33 or 35" tires. I'm not sure which size I'm going with now but will know in a couple weeks when I do all the work.

Back