What's to right of spare tire mount, underneath | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's to right of spare tire mount, underneath

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
While under my X spraying it with Fluid Film, I noticed a section to the right of the spare wheel mounted underneath. (Looking from the back of the truck) Looks like some kind of removable pan or panel. About 9" x 12" quite flat, Thin metal very rusted, with some shiny pad showing through. What is this piece, is it important? Might not have seen it, except there is only a wheel there, no spare tire on it. It's my 98 XLT auto 4x4 Don't know where I'd find a diagram showing it, isn't in the Haynes manual. If it's important, want to replace it as it's very rusted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a heat shield for the exhaust?

Is it a heat shield for the exhaust?
Exhaust isn't near it. It is immediately to the right of the mounted spare tire, would have been partially covered by the spare tire. Will see if I can get a pic of it Friday, raining solid here until then.

Cover for the evap canister? They became plastic in the later years.

This?

E27C58BD-C82F-4AAD-BBE3-2804EC526333.jpeg

Not really. What is the part you show? Beginning to think, it's simply part of the floor pan under the cargo area. Hope to get a pic of it tomorrow. The odd part is beneath the thin, rusted out metal, is a shiny pad that looks like it's insulated with foil-like material. Thanks for taking the time with my mystery part!

That’s typically covered mostly by the spare and is often rusty metal. It’s the evap tray, which I’m pretty sure is what you’re talking about.

That’s typically covered mostly by the spare and is often rusty metal. It’s the evap tray, which I’m pretty sure is what you’re talking about.
It is flat like that. Guess I need a new evap tray. O'Reilly's scan did show a code for evap a while ago, thought it was for my gas cap which fits loosely.

I think the only other option in the area would be that your floor is rotted out and you’re Seeing what’s under the carpet.

Back