Wheel bearings

BlueCopper

Reaction score
City, State
LYON
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi there

I need to replace the front (wheel ?)bearings in my 94 XLT. I am not exactly sure what the correct name is. Basically I need to do an alignment job but my front wheels wobble too much.
Since I am in France I cannot take to a mechanic to get it done, and Ford dealerships here don't even know that the Explorer is a truck made by Ford.
Do you know what is the exact name of these bearing and do you have a link for an online store where I could find the replacement kit ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timken makes wheel bearings for explorers. If you do a search using that name you should find lots of sources.

I'd try CSK(schucks, autozone) online. Try to get some part numbers. There are two bearings on each side on the front. They are the same bearing on a 4WD, not sure about 2WD. There is also a grease seal you will need. The bearings should come with races.

I would take your rotor off and verify the bearings are bad before investing the money in the bearings. They might just be loose.

You'll need a spindle wrench(search for a post I have on this) and a strong magnet to get them out.

Once you get the Timken part numbers you might be able to get the parts local. These bearings are very common in a lot of applications.

The front wheel bearings on the 1st gen X are timken set37. both the inner and outer are the same set.

rockauto last I checked will ship overseas and there is a rockauto.com discount code on this forum (5% off). Just search for Rockauto discount and you should find the code that is currently valid.

~Mark

Thanks, I am going to check all of that. I have checked with Rockauto and with Autozone so far. I am still waiting for a shipping quote from Autozone.
How can I tell if the bearings are just loose ? And how can I tighten them ?

You have to pull the rotors off, clean and inspect the bearings. Do some searches on here about how to do that. You need a strong magnet from a hard drive or speakers or? And the correct spindle wrench. Check bearings/races for pitting and damage. If you see none they are good.

Back