• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearings

HKUNZ

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
My X has an issue with the front wheel bearings, either they need to be replaced, or need to be torqued/tighened. How can i tell whether or not, they need to be replaced or tightened, and if they have to be tightened do i need a "Ford Special Tool" to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My X has an issue with the front wheel bearings, either they need to be replaced, or need to be torqued/tighened. How can i tell whether or not, they need to be replaced or tightened, and if they have to be tightened do i need a "Ford Special Tool" to fix it?

I recently pulled mine and repacked them when I replaced my rotors. I would suggest jacking the truck up and placing it on jack stands to be safe. Then try to wobble the wheel to see if it was loose. I somehow didn't get the passenger one tight and it wobbled somewhat and messed up my alignment. I pulled it apart yesterday and tried to wobble the rotor without the tire on it. It had some play in it.

I'll search for a thread that may be able to help you out. I purchased a hanyes manual from advance auto for $25 when I got my rotors.

ok cool, ive got a haynes manual, i havent thought about checkin it out. is it labor intensive?

Not really but it's messy because of the grease used to repack the bearings. Other then that I would say my mom would be able to do it. the hardest thing would be removing the tires I think. That's if you don't have access to an impact gun to remove the lug nuts like I do.

I do also recommend using a pick to remove the key over a magnet which I did not have any luck with. It won't take to long but you may have to replace the seals on the back of your rotors that hold the inside bearing in place. The seals are about $2 each.

I just did mine, wasn't too bad. I would suggest checking the haynes for the proper check method, and have the new bearings on hand when you are ready to dissasemble. I just kind of started taking mine apart to figure it out, and all the roller bearings fell out in my hand. If I had no way to get to parts store, I would have been stuck right there...

I wouldn't go buy new bearings.. Unless you have no way to get to the parts store or the wheel is making a growling noise. They are expensive. If you have auto hubs a strong magnet will get the key out of there with some jogging of the lock nut. I use a magnet from a hard drive. Imagine one from a speaker or other strong magnet will work. I've had luck re-using the grease seal on the rotor by knocking it out with a screw driver from the bearing side. Screw driver just fits by the bearing and race. Can tap it out then.

and MAKE SURE YOUR PACK YOUR BEARING PROPERLY! I didn't when i did my brakes and rotors a few days ago along with the bearings too but i just slapped some grease on there and only put a light coating on ... long story short i had to do the job all over again and had my mechanic friend removing one bearing that had basically welded itself to the spindle :eek: this also proved to be quite the embarrassing moment with a few of my mechanic friends having a few good laughs at my stupidity...

Ive got an impact gun, and jack. But i dont have a torque wrench. I think this wont be to terribly difficult. Ive changed a flwheel assembly before, and ive changed a torque converter seal... And my oil. And rotated my tires...

Ive got an impact gun, and jack. But i dont have a torque wrench. I think this wont be to terribly difficult. Ive changed a flwheel assembly before, and ive changed a torque converter seal... And my oil. And rotated my tires...

My father has one, But I didn't use one when I changed my rotors and repacked my bearings. On second thought we never use the one we have. Is that good or bad? lol

if you dont want to buy a torque wrench and the socket i tightend the nut that holds the rotor in hand tight then pulled on the rotor to make sure there was no play then fitted the key in and checked again but i had to use a monkey wrench to get the nut to turn a hair more and it worked so far no problems for me and saved myself 40-60 bucks on a torque wrench and socket

I must have read a hundred posts where people use a magnet to remove the lock key on the auto hubs. Honestly, I had no luck with the magnet, and found that a couple small picks work nicely.

I must have read a hundred posts where people use a magnet to remove the lock key on the auto hubs. Honestly, I had no luck with the magnet, and found that a couple small picks work nicely.

i agree i picked up some little pics at re tool for .99 cents a peice they work like a charm but be sure to buy a few if you plan on doing this job again as the little pics bend sometimes...

Back