• Register Today It's free!

Wheel for full-size spare

ghouck

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Ltd
I'm looking for an idea of what to use for a full-size spare. I have a '15 Limited with 20" wheels. I live in Alaska which makes me leery of using an aftermarket alloy wheel, and stock 20" are expensive. Is there a steel 20" wheel that will fit as a spare? Thanks, Greg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking for an idea of what to use for a full-size spare. I have a '15 Limited with 20" wheels. I live in Alaska which makes me leery of using an aftermarket alloy wheel, and stock 20" are expensive. Is there a steel 20" wheel that will fit as a spare? Thanks, Greg.
Short answer appears to be NO.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...e-oem-sport-tires-for-full-size-spare.403700/
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/donut-spare-or-full-size-tire.378923/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/spare-tire-18-vs-20.420225/

Peter

It is indeed 5 x 4.5 but Im not sure if that offset is correct, it appears to be a chrysler wheel in that link. I don't care that a full size spare won't fit in the well where the donut resides also.

It is indeed 5 x 4.5 but Im not sure if that offset is correct, it appears to be a chrysler wheel in that link. I don't care that a full size spare won't fit in the well where the donut resides also.
I think part of the issue is the width of the tread. You likely won't be able to put the cover back on. I think someone actually tried it a few years ago.

Peter

Have you tried eBay or a junkyard for the OEM wheel?

Ford has the police interceptor steel wheel. Haven't checked if they have a 20". I'm running the 18" for Winter wheels in place of the OEM 20". I am also 99.9% sure they will not fit in the spare tire well.

Peter

That is it or close, I was hoping to spend much less than that.

As I stated earlier, I do not car if it does not fit in the spare tire well. I have looked at salvage yards and ebay, they're all asking a bit more than I would expect. 200+ for one wheel in questionable shape. There are several on Ebay for better prices but shipping to Alaska is either not offered or unrealistic.

Edit: And now I see some on ebay with reasonable or even free shipping, although I doubt the ones stating free shipping will honor that shipping to Alaska. Thanks -Greg.

Back