Spare wheel??

janolsson

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leicester, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Ex at the mo
Am i right in thinkin the spare is a different size coz i sort of remember reading it was?
Will a normal wheel fit under the rear? I am thinkin of purchasing a matching alloy as my spare as 1) it won't suffer as much from the elements (my spare wheel quite brown) and 2) if i'm on a long journey i can carry on with the right size wheel and tyre.

If not, has anyone come up with an ingenius way of protecting the spare other than a flapping bin liner that will fill with and hold moisture?

ive had an alloy with 265 75 16 traction track underneath and only just squeezed under, my exhaust has imprinted on the tread a little so if youve got stock tyres will fit no problem,richard

You could use an elastic trimmed wheel cover off something that uses a rear mounted spare. If it's nice and tight it'll keep it dry. A Patrol comes with similar size tyres as an Explorer so you could find one of those.

The original Explorer spare is on a 15" rim and is pretty small.

Thanks for the reply guys
I think when the finances allow i'll go for the full size alloy spare.
As for a cover, i'm concerned water would get splashed over the top of the cover and then collect in the thing.
I may have to make something, mmm...

Back